Coop ramp

jfoot3

Hatching
Mar 15, 2016
Hi, building a new coop on a hill. I'm looking for ideas for ramps, or steps to get the chickens out of the coop ( nearly a 3.5 foot drop). I'm worried a simple ramp will be so ridiculously long. Thanks!

Hi, building a new coop on a hill. I'm looking for ideas for ramps, or steps to get the chickens out of the coop ( nearly a 3.5 foot drop). I'm worried a simple ramp will be so ridiculously long. Thanks!
A good rule of thumb in a perfect world:
Make your ramp twice as long as the drop which would give you a 6/12 pitch and an angle of 22.5º.
"A 4x4 block attached to the end of your ramp to make a step up will do a lot to reduce the slope also." Where you coop is on a slope you have that to take into consideration in the design.

Last edited:
I agree with Hokum.

I would put a stump, concrete block or some other type of "step" at the end of the ramp so that it doesn't have to be so long.

I would say 18 inches if not 2 feet step at the end of the ramp is fine. I haven't meet a chicken yet that can't jump that high.

Also most chickens don't start at the bottom of the ramp anyway they jump up onto the ramp at 1/4 or 1/2 way up.

Back
Top Bottom