Coop Reconstruction All suggestions and help welcome (IMAGE HEAVY)

What a wonderful old coop. I love your photo shop picture,and can not wait to see the end result. I would be so excited to find a property with a coop even in that condition. All I got was a metal shed,but hey it works.That dirt will grow some great veggies!

Very Cool! I love projects like this, my sisters & I would have a hoot doing that. But, I have to tell you that after seeing the pictures, I immediately started sneezing (wear a mask). I wish you had someone to help you, still hard work but somehow it's easier if you have someone else there. Good luck!

Quote:
1. Ventilation is definitely something I'm considering for placement. I have to be concious of the cold prairie winds (-50C sometimes) at the same time. I'm planning on 2 of those spinny roof vents (technical term, I assure you) and 2 or three under-eaves vents to ensure circulation. I think it's something that can be expanded if required. I'm also considering a skylight, but I'm not sure. I think I have to have a flat ceiling inside if I want to insulate because of needing the hot/cold zone to prevent moisture buildup.

2. There's electricity at the coop, however it's been cut and I know nothing about wiring (its partly the reason why I haven't had hotwater for 3 weeks! Oi...), and it's just not in my budget to have someone come out and re-run/replace whatever needs to be done. Luckily, the powered shed is about 25ft away.

3. That roost gets propped up (which is why I didn't know it was a roost at first). I'm thinking about redoing the system as that takes up a -ton- of space.

4. I'll be building a small closet addition on the outside, I think, by the door for storage. Thats a great suggestion and someone else made it earlier as well. Good thinking!

Thanks so much for your time.

Quote:
My only problem with the roost is how LARGE it really is. It takes up a space of about 12ft x 5ft. The original plan was to section that part off for broiler birds, though I'm thinking abotu Chantecleres which are supposed to be dual purpose birds. Maybe I'll half it? Thanks for the note on square wood, I couldn't remember if it was okay to be square. Is there a thickness that should be considered?

Quote:
This property is loaded in buildings like this. There's the coop, a fallen barn (which, we discovered, has a tractor under it...) we will be taking down after the purchase late next year, another fallen shack that used to surround a windmill (DH wants to take down the mill, I want to fix it) and I'll be tearing down the rest of that because it is beyond salvaging. The well house needs to be redone, as does a small shed that is out back, but both buildings are salvagable.

Interestingly, the original farm house is still on the property (along with the outhouse as well). It's fallen apart almost completely, but the framing and outer foundation are in great shape. I'll be tearing out the outhouse this spring, as the concrete base has fallen and I'm not interested in a pet or child being nearby when it decides to collapse completely. There's an old wood heater in there I'd like to get out as well as it's very old and looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm doing one of two things with the old house: I'll be rebuilding it as kind of a summer guest house (not a guest person though... I'd be a hermit if it wasn't for working in the city), OR I was considering turning it into a 2-3 goat barn and fencing it up. The nostalgia of having the original house on the property functioning as a small home -really- appeals to me. I wouldn't mind restoring it as a half eco house. A small wood stove in there would keep it warm in the winter as the house itself is the size of my living room (so about 12x12). Come to think of it... the coop is bigger than the house!

Look at me rambling... Sorry!

Quote:
I've been wearing an old pink rag. It smells like a freshly opened bag of dirt in there which, though a smell I don't mind, is very dusty. I'm anti social, and what friends I have are city people who think I'm out of my brain on this undertaking. One co-worker looked and me with a wrinkled nose and said, "Wouldn't it be easier to just buy packs of chicken and eggs from Costco"
smack.gif

Quote:
I've been wearing an old pink rag. It smells like a freshly opened bag of dirt in there which, though a smell I don't mind, is very dusty. I'm anti social, and what friends I have are city people who think I'm out of my brain on this undertaking. One co-worker looked and me with a wrinkled nose and said, "Wouldn't it be easier to just buy packs of chicken and eggs from Costco"
smack.gif

lau.gif
some folks just really don't get what its about...

I was talking to a city friend of mine recently and telling her about a project I've got underway that involves dirt and sawdust and manure. Her response: "I'm soooo sorry". me: "for what?" her: "because I am NOT coming out there to help!"
lol.png

project is looking good!
I kinda like the roost, but there might be an easier way to move it for cleaning... is the problem that it's just too big when it's in position? or that it needs too much room to swing up out of the way when you lift it?

Quote:
lol.png
Different worlds only miles away. I'm starting to believe there are two kinds of people in this world: Those that care where their food comes from, and those who prefer the disassociation and don't.

If you saw the original pictures, you would see a metal pole (actually a pipe) holding up the roost. I couldn't figure out what the heck it was because the pole was stationary. I found out while digging it was being held in place by two very heavy, very antique cast iron floor vents (which were unfortunately eaten up and non-recoverable). It's on swing hinges, but it takes up a significant amount of space when it's down (about 12ft wide x 5ft deep) and that's what I find to be a problem. What's going for me, however, is that I'm reconsidering separating the coop as Chantecleres are listed as dual purpose. However, I'd like to get a breeding flock going, and it would be convenient to have the coop split up to keep two bloodlines. I'm not really sure how dangerous inbreeding is in chickens; it's not a topic my library of books on the subject covers, nor something I've seen mentioned very often.

there should be a way we can rig that roost system up. maybe some sort of pulley system or block and tackle. surely one of our handy fellows on here can draw something up.

Back
Top Bottom