coop remodel and ventilation

C Siena

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2023
coop in2.jpg

We purchased this coop and it came with enough wire fence to make the run. The coop is 4'w x 8'L x 8'H with 2 small windows (it had curtains :) ), a small exit door and needed to be cleaned/remodeled. We took the slant board off above the nest boxes and glad we checked as there was an opening where a 4-9wk old could fall.

We are thinking of putting a vent in the back and opening up, under the roof on both sides, adding hc cloth to secure. How does that sound for ventilation? Or do we need to open up at the top and just put a couple of openings/large vents in the back? Next year, we might put nest boxes outside for more room. We live in S OH.

We have a few chicks waiting to see what sex they are. Two 6 weeks old in the coop/run and five 2.5 week olds, in the cage close to the run and a hen on some eggs.

Thanks to all who answer. If you couldn't tell, this is our first coop and chickens. I have been helping a friend with her 50 chickens and decided to finally have my own, but I will still help.

Attachments

• coop in.jpg
    coop in.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 45
  • coop out side.jpg
    coop out side.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 43
  • run.jpg
    run.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 43
Definitely could use more ventilation. I'd start by cutting out the soffit areas under the roof, looks like just some wall paneling to remove there - then cover with the hardware cloth. I'd buy a larger roll of the HC and do the run's wall panels up to about 24" and also go horizontal on the ground for anti-dig skirting. You may consider adding mesh to the overhead section of run too, so no predators get over the top. The angled panel over the nest boxes was likely there to prevent roosting and pooping on top of them; for the size of coop and number of chickens you likely only need two nest boxes.

Definitely could use more ventilation. I'd start by cutting out the soffit areas under the roof, looks like just some wall paneling to remove there - then cover with the hardware cloth. I'd buy a larger roll of the HC and do the run's wall panels up to about 24" and also go horizontal on the ground for anti-dig skirting. You may consider adding mesh to the overhead section of run too, so no predators get over the top. The angled panel over the nest boxes was likely there to prevent roosting and pooping on top of them; for the size of coop and number of chickens you likely only need two nest boxes.
I was thinking of taking out the bottom 3 boxes. We have to fix a block for the guillotine door as I could get my fingernail under it and lift. I'm blocking it with the slant board/panel and concrete block. We also have a solar motion light for now.
It was possible for a chick to get under the slanted board where the openings were, so we blocked them. Thank you.

Depending on how big the openings are that you're planning, it could be enough or maybe not. Aim for roughly 1 sq ft per bird in ventilation that can be left open year round (with perhaps the option of extra vents that can be opened in summer if heat is a factor). If possible you want to mirror vents on one side and another so you get some cross breeze going through to help push moist, warm air out.

I second opening up the areas below the roof in the second picture. When you remove that siding piece, I'd hinge it from the top to act as a rain deflector.
Excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by remove the siding piece? We were going to cut the part above the 2x4 and put hc there on both sides.

Excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by remove the siding piece? We were going to cut the part above the 2x4 and put hc there on both sides.
Like I did with my coop. I cut the siding to make the opening, but used that piece as a windbreaker and to stop driving rain. First pic is during the construction phase before HC was added. In the second pic you can see the seam just about the window.

Attachments

• IMG_20190311_133617511.jpg
    IMG_20190311_133617511.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190312_143944734_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190312_143944734_HDR.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 33
The area at the tallest point is 14" and then 4.3' across/later, it's 3.5"T. I'm still thinking of what we'll do. I can open up the top of the back but it would only be 4.5"H x 8'L. I cannot do it on the front due to the windows. I may put three 1'x1' vents/window high on the back wall...still thinking. Thanks for the pics and idea. We will probably build a coop next year and I'm making notes.

Depending on how big the openings are that you're planning, it could be enough or maybe not. Aim for roughly 1 sq ft per bird in ventilation that can be left open year round (with perhaps the option of extra vents that can be opened in summer if heat is a factor). If possible you want to mirror vents on one side and another so you get some cross breeze going through to help push moist, warm air out.
I may put three vents/windows on the back wall, a little higher than the windows. With the size of the windows and the additions, we should be about 6 sq' of ventilation. We'll probably have 8-10 chickens...so I will need to make the back vents/windows larger. As it can get very cold, I want the ability to close somewhat. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom