coop remodel and ventilation

I noticed in the pics for your run that wire has rather large openings. Raccoons can reach thru and grab and smaller predators can easily squeeze thru.
Thanks. We enclose the chickens in the coop before sundown. The coop floor is wood with a solid sheet of linoleum over it. We will probably put hc or something around the sides and into the ground. In our area we have raccoons, opossums (not the last 2 years, thank God, but know they are around) and do have 3 hawks close by, so until we have the roof/covering secure, they are not in the run when we are not home.

I may put three vents/windows on the back wall, a little higher than the windows. With the size of the windows and the additions, we should be about 6 sq' of ventilation. We'll probably have 8-10 chickens...so I will need to make the back vents/windows larger. As it can get very cold, I want the ability to close somewhat. Thanks.
The example mowin posted, where you top hinge a piece of wood over the vent and prop it open, is the best way to protect open vents from the climate and still have them providing ventilation.

I did reply to mowin that the size is only 14" ish at the tallest point and going down to 3.5" over only a 4' length. This will still not be enough ventilation. I may do both ends (have to check the support wood first) and do the vents/windows on the back. I have to have a way to close the vents/windows partially when the weather gets really cold. Not often but last year at Christmas, for 3 days, the wind chill was -20/25F. Thanks. I'm still a newbie trying to work things out. I am enjoying watching the chicks play.

Thanks. We enclose the chickens in the coop before sundown. The coop floor is wood with a solid sheet of linoleum over it. We will probably put hc or something around the sides and into the ground. In our area we have raccoons, opossums (not the last 2 years, thank God, but know they are around) and do have 3 hawks close by, so until we have the roof/covering secure, they are not in the run when we are not home.
Sounds good. I only mentioned it because coons will rarely come out during the day but it's been known to happen. Usually they're out around dusk or even before and I know my girls don't like to go in the coop till it's pretty dark so there's about an hour before they're in where they could be at risk. Weasels and rats which are known to be out during the day can easily get thru the spaces on that fence. Also mice which will steal the chicken feed.

I did reply to mowin that the size is only 14" ish at the tallest point and going down to 3.5" over only a 4' length. This will still not be enough ventilation. I may do both ends (have to check the support wood first) and do the vents/windows on the back. I have to have a way to close the vents/windows partially when the weather gets really cold. Not often but last year at Christmas, for 3 days, the wind chill was -20/25F. Thanks.
I would definitely do both sides. Ventilation works better if on opposite ends. As far as high winds and drafts, a cheap and effective method is to tack up furnace filters over the ventilation. I've never had to with my setup. If we had high winds and bitter cold, I just reduced the opening on the side getting hit by the winds.

Sounds good. I only mentioned it because coons will rarely come out during the day but it's been known to happen. Usually they're out around dusk or even before and I know my girls don't like to go in the coop till it's pretty dark so there's about an hour before they're in where they could be at risk. Weasels and rats which are known to be out during the day can easily get thru the spaces on that fence. Also mice which will steal the chicken feed.
Thanks. The kids have already learned, when I took them out most days to romp in the cage (3'x4'x 20"H) and when we wanted to leave home at 4-5pm...ugh...they squawked "it's not time yet". :D

Back
Top Bottom