Coop/ Roost

RhodeIslandReds

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
fl
Hey there im looking to get turkeys and dont know what type of coop or turkeys to get. Ive been reading around to see which ones I like, I really like the Mideget Whites but I dont really know what there good for. Please tell me what beed i should get for a begineer, any info will help.

Thanks,
RIRs

People with WAY more experience than I have will no doubt comment, but my question is this -- what do YOU want them for? Pets, to eat, to breed? That will determine in large part what kind you should get.

I have "Calico Sweetgrass/Royal Palm" crosses. They're about 4 months old right now, and getting very, very pretty. Just pets.

Pick a turkey that your most attacted to or get a assortment. Do you know why you want to raise turkeys? I don't find any difference in there personality's. All heritage turkeys are hardy and breed naturally. One color is not any better for a beginner. Some colors might make a prettier plucked bird.

I like genetics and breeding so I don't like white birds. I am a color breeder and white would mess up most breeding plans. I also stay with standard size birds, so they can be crossed.

My turkeys sleep inside and are locked up at night. They will perch on anything. I have 4x4 post.

Okkay thanks for the info.
I am getting them for meat, also im not picky on color but I dont really like getting a breed that is so dumb it cant even breed....like a CX.
I want a normal turkey that was not breed just to eat-n-sleep all day.
OmaBird can you please post pics of your coop.

Mine is not exactly a coop. It is a two story horse and hay barn. I put pipe rails and 6 foot horse fencing around it. Depending on my mood or time of year, I will only free range if it is not breeding season. I don't have losses since I started doing this. My yard is fenced with 6 ft chain link but preditors would get my sitting turkeys.

One note. Make sure you do not have glass windows in your coop. My barn had windows. Note I said HAD. These stupid turkeys will fly right through them. One went through the second story window and lived. I should have killed him.

Quote:
I think that the breeds that didn't breed are all extinct now.
wink.png

Well thanks all for the info.
I am going to look at the Bourbens they look like a got turkey.

Thanks,
RIRs

Back
Top Bottom