Coop run in Oregon

Kchicken1988

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2019
Hello all -

I live In Oregon where it rains. A lot!!
half my run is fully covered and the other half is Not. When it rains the uncovered part turns to complete yuck and mud.. It drains fine, but it’s Oregon. Lol
I don’t like how my run is built because it’s hard to come up with idea on how to build something ( and cost efficient ) to keep it dry

to my main question:
What should be on the ground of their run?
I see people say deep litter. Lots and lots of pine shavings. But that’ll cost a lot of money to always be doing and the rain and chickens just breaking it down.

I can post a picture later of my run when I get home too.

Hello all -

I live In Oregon where it rains. A lot!!
half my run is fully covered and the other half is Not. When it rains the uncovered part turns to complete yuck and mud.. It drains fine, but it’s Oregon. Lol
I don’t like how my run is built because it’s hard to come up with idea on how to build something ( and cost efficient ) to keep it dry

to my main question:
What should be on the ground of their run?
I see people say deep litter. Lots and lots of pine shavings. But that’ll cost a lot of money to always be doing and the rain and chickens just breaking it down.

I can post a picture later of my run when I get home too.
I use free wood chips I get from a local Town Highway Department. I use it by the truckload here.
IMG_20200521_174725536.jpg

Pine shavings is NOT deep litter. Think natural forest floor. Think FREE.

My run is filled wth wood chips from our lot (in PNW, you can get free chips from many tree companies, since it's so abundant), dried leaves, dried grass clippings, weeds, garden trimmings, etc. If you don't have a large yard that produces that much plant material, ask neighbors for their unwanted dried leaves in fall, their unwanted lawn clippings (assuming they don't use fertilizers/pesticides) - you're going to save them money and you get free materials from it.

These chicks are enjoying the run after a heavy night's rain. Puddles everywhere in the lawn, but surface dry inside the run as all the water easily drains through the litter.

litter.jpg

Pine shavings is NOT deep litter. Think natural forest floor. Think FREE.

My run is filled wth wood chips from our lot (in PNW, you can get free chips from many tree companies, since it's so abundant), dried leaves, dried grass clippings, weeds, garden trimmings, etc. If you don't have a large yard that produces that much plant material, ask neighbors for their unwanted dried leaves in fall, their unwanted lawn clippings (assuming they don't use fertilizers/pesticides) - you're going to save them money and you get free materials from it.

These chicks are enjoying the run after a heavy night's rain. Puddles everywhere in the lawn, but surface dry inside the run as all the water easily drains through the litter.

View attachment 2167648
That is such a great idea! I toss all my yard debris into my compost pile, but this is a game changer!!

I too live in Oregon but it's not quite as rainy down here in the southern part of the state. I have their run covered in shade cloth (light color blocks the intense sun and keeps the chicken hawks from circling). It lets in good airflow and lessens the amount of rain that gets in. When we have a big system I have a clear heavy duty tarp I bought from Amazon. Works great. If that wouldn't work for you I'd go with larger wood chips....

I'm in Oregon too...just starting out. Not sure what part of the state you're in, but I second checking around for free wood chips. I know we can get our local utility to drop off a truckload in the driveway.

I’ve heard that we can get free wood chips in Oregon but I don’t see any info on whether they are pesticide free. Does anybody here know and would be able to recommend a place? I’m in SE Portland.

I’ve heard that we can get free wood chips in Oregon but I don’t see any info on whether they are pesticide free. Does anybody here know and would be able to recommend a place? I’m in SE Portland.
You can get free wood chips from Chip Drop or PGE in the Portland area. The problem is they’re from landscapers chipping whatever branches or PGE cutting branches back and chipping them, so you never know what you’ll get/whether something in there may be unsafe for chickens. And you get a TON of chips (like an entire box truckload load).

You can get free wood chips from Chip Drop or PGE in the Portland area. The problem is they’re from landscapers chipping whatever branches or PGE cutting branches back and chipping them, so you never know what you’ll get/whether something in there may be unsafe for chickens. And you get a TON of chips (like an entire box truckload load).
Thanks for the info. That was what I was worried about. I might just get a wood chipper. At least I know my trees are safe.

Back
Top Bottom