Coop/Run.... Welded wire/Hardware cloth????

DebB11

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Is it necessary to use hardware cloth to fence in the entire run/coop or can I use a combination of welded wire and hardware cloth?

Trying to figure out where we can get by with using the welded wire and where we absolutely need the hardware cloth?

Thanks

Welded wire is fine as long as the squares are not the big ones. THEN you can run hardware cloth up a couple of feet all the way around.

Now saying that....I have chain link. Then I have corragated tin all around the bottom. I used hardware cloth in the windows and over the chain link door that is in front of the coop door.

So...

I think hardware cloth is expensive. I did use it on the chicken tractor. But, if you can cut corners while still protecting the chickens...why not.

I've used both. The welded wire isn't as predator proof, so if you can, I'd use it up high with the hardware wire down low (where the chickens will be). That way a raccoon can't reach through the wire and hurt your chickens. It will not stop weasels and snakes from entering your set up, however it's better than poultry wire.

True, it's less expensive. But go into it with full knowledge that you might incur some loss to predators when you use it.

eta: thanks Elmo.

Last edited:
Let's clarify terminology. Welded wire is sometimes called hardware cloth, although sometimes the term hardware cloth is used to refer to welded wire that has small openings between the horizontal and vertical wires (say, 1/2" by 1/2" for example). There's no real uniform standard for what you call welded wire products based upon wire spacing that I know of, though.

Welded wire is to be distinguished from woven wire (like chickenwire). Instead of welding the vertical and horizontal wires, the strands of woven wire are just twisted around each other, making the product less strong and secure.

Wire comes in different gauges, or thicknesses. The lower the gauge, the thicker and stronger the wire. Finally, welded wire can be galvanized (coated with zinc to prevent rusting) either before it's welded (GBW) or after it's welded (GAW). Wire that's galvanized after welding is stronger and more expensive, and it lasts longer.

Wire with openings no larger than 1/2" by 1/2" inch will stop "reach through" predation, so many people use wire with larger openings and just wrap the bottom 2 or 3 feet of the run with wire that has the smaller openings, or even with something solid. If you use wire with larger openings for the higher part of the run and/or the roof, be careful that the openings aren't so large that something like a weasel or a young raccoon could squeeze in, because they certainly can climb. However, if your chickens are going to be locked inside a secure coop at night when predator risk is highest, this becomes less of an issue.

My runs are all built from chain link dog kennels. I used 36" 19 gauge hardware cloth around the bottom 24" and have buried the other 12". Yes hardware cloth is expensive, probably the most expensive single item you will buy, but believe me well worth it to keep predators out and to not have the heartache of finding dead birds!

Back
Top Bottom