I use my grass clippings from mowing my lawn in the coops. I spread it out, to dry it out, under my gazebo.. then bag it up for coops, brooding pens and nesting boxes. It is replaced once a month in coops and every 2 weeks in the brooding pens. It then goes onto the compost heap. I have water and food both in and out of the coops.

I use coarse river sand.. placed in cut and inverted old tyres which gets wood ash added to it here and there, for their dust baths. They love it.

My birds free range. I keep bantams. None of them are vaccinated.

Oh and I use tubs for feeding the birds.. big tubs with high sides that they can jump into to feed. I find this is best for reducing waste as they can't kick out the food. For young chicks with Mamma hens I use those double snack dishes.. like a chip (crisp) n dip dish, as the mamma hen can't kick the food out.. and neither can the chicks.

I find big water bowls with high-ish sides, kept full without rocks etc in them are best for my adult birds as they won't try to jump into or onto the water.. being deep, instead they drink daintily and don't fowl the water so quickly.

Oh and I use tubs for feeding the birds.. big tubs with high sides that they can jump into to feed. I find this is best for reducing waste as they can't kick out the food. For young chicks with Mamma hens I use those double snack dishes.. like a chip (crisp) n dip dish, as the mamma hen can't kick the food out.. and neither can the chicks.

I find big water bowls with high-ish sides, kept full without rocks etc in them are best for my adult birds as they won't try to jump into or onto the water.. being deep, instead they drink daintily and don't fowl the water so quickly.
They don't poop in the feed tubs?

Where do you put pine shavings? Inside the coop only or out in the run as well?

I use shavings as bedding in the coop and various forms of litter in the run after the grass has been destroyed. This includes wood chips, wood shavings, straw, pine straw, leaves, dried grass clippings, etc.

Where does their food and water go? In the coop or in the run? Is it on the ground or do you hang it?

My current coop is very small so I prefer to have the food and water out in the run. Here is a thread about my setup: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-feed-and-water-shelter.1426654/

1604358362463-png.2396880

The deep litter method, does that only work if the coop and run are touching the ground? The coop is up off the ground.

Deep Bedding is a dry, non-composting system for use in the coop. I'm currently working on an article about using Deep Bedding in a small coop, but I'm afraid it's not finished.

Deep Litter is a moist, composting system that works best in contact with the ground and thus is best used in the run.

What's your suggestions for cleaning the inside of the coop? How often? Are the pull out poop trays a good thing to have?

Here's another thread of mine in re: my cleaning and winter prep: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/winterizing-coop-and-pen-nc-sandhills-version.1431885/

And a follow up report: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...a-small-coop-9-weeks-of-accumulation.1443278/

With a Deep Bedding system the main thing is to shovel out the bedding every 8-12 weeks (or more or less depending on weather, chicken density, and other factors), when it becomes unacceptably soiled.

You can use a broom to knock down cobwebs when it seems necessary but wet cleaning should never be necessary. Keeping your coop bone dry is the healthiest thing you can do for your chickens.

Does the run need to be cleaned somehow? Should I put straw or bedding in the run?

Some people manage to make a Deep Litter system work so well that it never needs to be cleaned at all because the bedding and manure compost together at the perfect rate. Many people who use Deep Litter, however, like to be able to harvest compost for their garden -- pulling back the uncomposted material and shoveling out the good stuff from underneath.

With my in-town flock I shoveled out the run when either the litter got too deep and started spilling over the doorsill or it developed an odor that couldn't be fixed with 2-4 inches of whatever dry organic material I had handy.

Note: I personally prefer a mix of materials, especially in the run, because I find it less likely to pack, mat, and develop anaerobic pockets. (Straw alone is especially bad for this, but straw mixed with other material is fine).

Do the nesting boxes get anything special or just pine shavings as well?

I use pine shavings or a mix of pine shavings and straw in my nest boxes.

Where do you put the DE or First Saturday Lime?

DE is a respiratory irritant so I do not use it.

I do sometimes put down a thin dusting of agricultural lime and/or wood ashes on the floor of the coop under the first layer of bedding after I've shoveled things out. This is, honestly, more about making a contribution to my future compost by helping to balance the pH than about having any particular effect on the coop or the chickens.

What's your dust bath recipe you use and does that go in the run or the coop?

My chickens have access to the dirt and happily dig their own dust baths whereever they choose.

Did you get your chickens vaccinated? Do they need it?

I got feed store chicks which were almost certainly not vaccinated and did not choose to have the chicks I just ordered vaccinated. This is new ground that has never had chickens on it before and there is no local history of any diseases. Circumstances vary -- you might contact your local Ag Extension for advice.

Are there any food/kitchen scraps chickens cannot eat or are poisonous to them?

Here is a good thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-what-can-chickens-eat.1273191/#post-20468930

Can I see pics of your coop setup?!

Here is my coop page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/ It has a lot of detailed photos and includes plans.

And some photos of the coop in the pen with the straw bale wind-baffles I put in for winter:
1201201237a_HDR.jpg

1201201228_HDR.jpg

I shift the fence (100 feet of Premier 1 48" electric poultry netting), around from time to time to give them access to fresh ground:

0209211043.jpg

0209211043b.jpg

Feed and water are inside coop for several reasons, mostly because my run is not weather proof....and for my set up and climate it's just easier for me the keeper.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

Seeing your coop and run would help us give you more specific advice.
You can see mine on My Coop page.

Also.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1613655863702.png

I use shavings as bedding in the coop and various forms of litter in the run after the grass has been destroyed. This includes wood chips, wood shavings, straw, pine straw, leaves, dried grass clippings, etc.

Where does their food and water go? In the coop or in the run? Is it on the ground or do you hang it?

My current coop is very small so I prefer to have the food and water out in the run. Here is a thread about my setup: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-feed-and-water-shelter.1426654/

The deep litter method, does that only work if the coop and run are touching the ground? The coop is up off the ground.

Deep Bedding is a dry, non-composting system for use in the coop. I'm currently working on an article about using Deep Bedding in a small coop, but I'm afraid it's not finished.

Deep Litter is a moist, composting system that works best in contact with the ground and thus is best used in the run.

What's your suggestions for cleaning the inside of the coop? How often? Are the pull out poop trays a good thing to have?

Here's another thread of mine in re: my cleaning and winter prep: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/winterizing-coop-and-pen-nc-sandhills-version.1431885/

And a follow up report: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...a-small-coop-9-weeks-of-accumulation.1443278/

With a Deep Bedding system the main thing is to shovel out the bedding every 8-12 weeks (or more or less depending on weather, chicken density, and other factors), when it becomes unacceptably soiled.

You can use a broom to knock down cobwebs when it seems necessary but wet cleaning should never be necessary. Keeping your coop bone dry is the healthiest thing you can do for your chickens.

Does the run need to be cleaned somehow? Should I put straw or bedding in the run?

Some people manage to make a Deep Litter system work so well that it never needs to be cleaned at all because the bedding and manure compost together at the perfect rate. Many people who use Deep Litter, however, like to be able to harvest compost for their garden -- pulling back the uncomposted material and shoveling out the good stuff from underneath.

With my in-town flock I shoveled out the run when either the litter got too deep and started spilling over the doorsill or it developed an odor that couldn't be fixed with 2-4 inches of whatever dry organic material I had handy.

Note: I personally prefer a mix of materials, especially in the run, because I find it less likely to pack, mat, and develop anaerobic pockets. (Straw alone is especially bad for this, but straw mixed with other material is fine).

I do sometimes put down a thin dusting of agricultural lime and/or wood ashes on the floor of the coop under the first layer of bedding after I've shoveled things out. This is, honestly, more about making a contribution to my future compost by helping to balance the pH than about having any particular effect on the coop or the chickens.

My chickens have access to the dirt and happily dig their own dust baths whereever they choose.

I got feed store chicks which were almost certainly not vaccinated and did not choose to have the chicks I just ordered vaccinated. This is new ground that has never had chickens on it before and there is no local history of any diseases. Circumstances vary -- you might contact your local Ag Extension for advice.

Here is a good thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-what-can-chickens-eat.1273191/#post-20468930

Here is my coop page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/ It has a lot of detailed photos and includes plans.

And some photos of the coop in the pen with the straw bale wind-baffles I put in for winter:
View attachment 2534238
View attachment 2534242

I shift the fence (100 feet of Premier 1 48" electric poultry netting), around from time to time to give them access to fresh ground:
Feed and water are inside coop for several reasons, mostly because my run is not weather proof....and for my set up and climate it's just easier for me the keeper.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

Seeing your coop and run would help us give you more specific advice.
You can see mine on My Coop page.

Also.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2534810
THANK YOU so much for all the helpful info. I don't have a coop yet! I'm ordering it this week and will have it soon
I'm trying to load my brain with all the info and knowledge I can so I'm prepared once the coop gets here so I can make it perfect for my little ladiesI'm located in Central NJ. Right now it's snowing and 30 degrees. So my 8 week old babes can't go outside just yet.
I will add my location to my profile. Thanks again!

View attachment 2534238
View attachment 2534242

View attachment 2534255
View attachment 2534258
WOW!!! Thank you so much for all the helpful tips and photos!!
It's helps so much. I don't have my coop just yet. My babies are only 8 weeks old and it's 30 degrees and snowing here in NJ.
I'm so excited to get their new home and get it all prepped and ready for them. I'm sure they're looking forward to getting outdoors too.
I want them to be happy and healthy so I just want to make sure I have all the info I need to make their coop comfy. :)
Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom