Coop size for ? # of chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bgeyer, Sep 13, 2012.

1. bgeyer

bgeyer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    My run and coop are all in one. The frame for the run is 5 ft wide x 7ft length x 6 ft height. The coop is 3 ft wide x 3 feet height x 5 ft long. We have 2 nesting boxes.
    I have 3 silkies, 1 rhode island red, and 4 peeps that I haven't put in the main coop.
    Do you think I have enough room in my coop. One of the older silkies i think is a rooster, which I will have to find him another home because my neighbors wouldn't like me having one.
    I would like to get another non bantam chicken for my red to have a buddy. Is that to many chickens for my coop?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The general recommendation is 4 sq. ft of coop space and 10 sq. feet of run space per bird. So your run as is could comfortably contain 3 birds, maybe 4 since you have some bantams. At 9 sq. ft, your housing would work okay for 2-3 birds, unless you live in an area that stays pretty mild year round. Also, if you free range most of the day, you can get by with a little less run space.
    So no, I would DEFINITELY not recommend adding another bird. I would advice you to decrease your current flock by a few birds...

ETA: Oops...just noticed that your housing is 3x5 = 15 sq.feet...so 4 LF. As mentioned before, if you don't really get winters, then more would do okay in the housing.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The "general rule" of space for a coop (the house itself) is minimum 4 square feet per large fowl bird, and half that for each bantam, with the run (the exercise yard, so to speak) a minimum of 10 square feet per large fowl chicken, again half that for each bantam chicken.

So, your run is 5 x 7, which is 35 square feet, sufficient for 3.5 large fowl chicken. Your coop/house is 3 x 5, or 15 square feet, sufficient to house 4 large fowl chickens. (Yah, 4 per bird would be 16 square feet... but it's close enough.)

It's important to understand this is minimum floor space; if you have feeders, waterers, and nest boxes on the floor, those items take away from available floor space.

Many folks offer more space per bird and many crowd a few more birds into their coops and runs than would be considered if following the "general rule."

I "stuff" quite a few birds into a transmogrified garage 17 x 20 feet, but there is no "run" as my flock ranges freely over my property (which is just over 2/3rds of an acre).

I don't know if my post helps you at all, but you will find the "general rule" of space mentioned all over BYC and in other respectable source material.

4. bgeyer

bgeyer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    The 4 chickens I have now seem happy in their coop and run. I think 1 is a rooster and I can't keep a rooster. I have 4 chicks that arent ready to be in the main coop. I let them roam my fenced in hillside when I am home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by