Coop size, roosts

Leigti

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 22, 2015
Walla Walla WA
Hello, I am relatively new here. I have done a lot of reading about coop size, roosts etc. I understand all the numbers :) but I'm not sure how they pertain to my situation exactly. I am getting more chickens in the spring and building a new coop. So I've started looking up different designs and ideas. But I also have to keep realistic about the cost.
I'm thinking of building a coop about 2 feet off the ground that is 8 feet long and 4 feet high and 4 feet deep with a cupula? At the top to help with ventilation. I want all the roofs to be at the same level, food and water will be outside the coop and the nesting boxes will also be outside. The chickens will free roam around my backyard all day and put in the coop at night. So my basic question is how would you suggest I position the roosts and will this be big enough for eight full-size egg laying chickens? And if anybody has pictures that would be great, especially of the inside of their coops. Thank you for any suggestions or comments.

Well, if you give each bird 4 square feet, you will have enough room for 8 birds, so yeah, you have enough room. I personally like having the roosts to one side of the coop, but I have a walk- in, and a poop board, so.... Any way, two 4 foot long roosts should be plenty. Each bird gets a foot of roost to call her own. Not that they won't just squish all together.
roll.png

I am thinking I will be putting the roosts to the right side of the coop, the nest boxes will be outside of the coop on the left side. I could easily put two or three or even four roosts there. Even if it takes up half the coop there still room. I plan to put a plant to board under them. How high should they be? I was thinking 18 inches above the floor and then they would have enough headroom.
And I hear a lot of people recommending a run Tall enough to walk in. I hadn't planned on that but I could do it. Chain-link would be much cheaper then hardware cloth. Would that be good enough if I line the bottom couple feet or so with chicken wire also? May yard is surrounded by 6 foot tall chain-link also.
I will continue to keep looking through all the threads that have been suggested. I know it's a little while away but I'm starting to get excited. I do have the capability to set up a temporary enclosure now if I was able to find a couple young female Pullets, any suggestions of who has them this time of year? I would like to have a flock of chickens at various ages.

Back
Top Bottom