1. MCArt20

MCArt20 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2016
    Hello- since I increased my flock from two to four, seamed a consensus that my coop was too small. So I found a crate, with a hinged door, so initially all I would need to do is add a door the chickens can access. Then add a real roof and attach run etc. later this spring and summer. my question is - the inside space for roosting is 3.5' x 4', with A 3.5'- 4' height clearance, which eventually could be increased with roof, and removing current ceiling, might gain another foot or so... is this large enough for 4 hens? No egg box inside- eventually I will attach one to outside of nest boxes, but for now, it would be separate.

2. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La

That's kinda tight. In a perfect world you would want 4 sqft per bird or 16 sqft total. You are a little under that. Don't make the roosts more than 1' off the floor because they will have to hop almost straight down in the mornings or else bounce off a wall.

3. MCArt20

MCArt20 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2016
    Well there are two crates available- I could put two together? They are the same size...so it would double the space...

4. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Yes, screw the frames together for stability and cut holes in the sides to make one larger enclosure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by