Coop size

MCArt20

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2016
Hello- since I increased my flock from two to four, seamed a consensus that my coop was too small. So I found a crate, with a hinged door, so initially all I would need to do is add a door the chickens can access. Then add a real roof and attach run etc. later this spring and summer. my question is - the inside space for roosting is 3.5' x 4', with A 3.5'- 4' height clearance, which eventually could be increased with roof, and removing current ceiling, might gain another foot or so... is this large enough for 4 hens? No egg box inside- eventually I will attach one to outside of nest boxes, but for now, it would be separate.

Hello- since I increased my flock from two to four, seamed a consensus that my coop was too small. So I found a crate, with a hinged door, so initially all I would need to do is add a door the chickens can access. Then add a real roof and attach run etc. later this spring and summer. my question is - the inside space for roosting is 3.5' x 4', with A 3.5'- 4' height clearance, which eventually could be increased with roof, and removing current ceiling, might gain another foot or so... is this large enough for 4 hens? No egg box inside- eventually I will attach one to outside of nest boxes, but for now, it would be separate.

That's kinda tight. In a perfect world you would want 4 sqft per bird or 16 sqft total. You are a little under that. Don't make the roosts more than 1' off the floor because they will have to hop almost straight down in the mornings or else bounce off a wall.

Well there are two crates available- I could put two together? They are the same size...so it would double the space...

Back
Top Bottom