Coop size

Beckychick11

Chirping
Mar 3, 2018
Good morning everyone. I'm getting a new chicken coop for my new flock. What are the rules of thumb for having 8 chickens comfortably, as far as measurements? I've been looking at tsc, pet smart, etc. Some don't say how many chickens it can hold. It just lists measurements. I don't recall the square feet per chicken. Any coops I should steer clear of or you recommended? Thank you!

Welcome to BYC!

Chances are you're not going to find a prefab coop that will healthily hold 8 chickens.
Do not believe the populations stated by the manufacturers of those tiny dollhouse coops. You're really better off building a coop.

The 4/10 rule of thumb is bare minimum IM(and many others)O.

Here's very good article by RR about Space, read it before proceeding with purchase.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

4 square feet per bird in the coop is the general rule of thumb if I remember correctly. Will you let them free range during the day? If not, 10 square feet per bird for the run.

This. Then double it for chicken math.

An 8X8 shed could work. Plus run. I am currently building a 8X10 shed/coop with 10X20 run (plus free ranging) for my (currently) 4 large hens.

Basically go as big as your budget and local laws allow.

My yard isn't huge. Already have 2 sheds and putting in a trampoline. Definitely can't do another shed. Hubby doesn't want to build another coop. I have to get a pre fab one. I'm looking at one that says good for 12 chickens. I have 8, but guarantee they won't all be hens, I'll probably have 6 hens. Incorporating new chickens is so much work, that I don't plan on falling victim to chicken math again, ! My budget won't allow the $2,000 massive coops.

Back
Top Bottom