1. mathewsaz

mathewsaz New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    I am brand new to chickens ( in fact I don't even have any yet), and am wanting some advice on coop/run size. I am planning on buying a coop online as I need one that is attractive as to keep my neighbors happy. I am only planning on having 3 hens and the coop I am looking at measures 62" L X 32" W X 42" H. It says that is big enough for 4 hens. It seems small to me. Is this really big enough for 3 hens? Here is a link to the coop on Petco's website.

http://www.petco.com/product/114699/Precision-Pet-Cape-Cod-Chicken-Coop-or-Rabbit-Hutch.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch#description-tab

Any
    advice on this would be appreciated.

One more bit of info. The reason I like this coop design is because it look like it would be easy to add extra length to the run area. Thoughts?

2. LadyBantam

LadyBantam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    i don't know

3. Buschie's dozen

Buschie's dozen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    the rule is 3' inside/bird 10' outside/bird

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm highly skeptical of any coop that doesn't even list the dimensions of the housing, which appears to be about half the length. So that would put the housing part of the coop probably around 7 sq. ft. For me in my area (I'm in Indiana, and get snow) that would not be large enough for three chickens. And of course the run is about half what is recommended for three chickens.
    If you're in a year round mild area with a decent sized run extension, you could probably do okay with it.
    You'll find the vast majority of companies that market coops will advertise that they can hold MANY more chickens than they should - because if you go by commercial chicken industry standards, it's true.
    I have no idea how well it's made - durability.

5. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    x2

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:looked at your coop too small, did you read the reviews, one said it was only fit for 2. Try Ebay you can get a bigger one for around the same price. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Hello, from Big Bear Ca. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  7. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    I also agree with the above concerns. I would also add my concerns on being draft resistent for the winter. The design is nice, but it seems crowded for four (or even three) birds. Welcome to the BYC by the way!

8. mathewsaz

mathewsaz New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    Thank you all for your input. I have opted to look locally for something bigger.

9. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

In reviewing past postings regarding these types of coops, the main concerns have focused not only on the size but the quality of the product itself. Many report these types of coops tend to be on the flimsy side and have a limited lifetime standing up to sun, rain and/or snow.

For the price you could build something far larger and more sturdy.

Gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by