Coop sizing?

I think if you're planning to start with 3, start with 3 bantams first, and see how it goes from there. I don't have any bantams myself but I'd think it'd be easier to add large chicks to small adults, vs super tiny chicks to much larger adults.

But it's up to you really, if you're not completely stuck on the numbers, maybe by watching how your first group does in the coop and run, you'll have a better idea of how manageable it'll be to add more birds to that space, regardless of bird size.

I saw the title, and I was just going to answer "Bigger." Bigger than what? Doesn't matter. Just bigger. Lol!

Seriously, though, your climate dictates a lot. I live in a very warm climate. It rarely freezes here and frequently gets into the 100s. I can get away with a small coop because all my birds do is sleep in it. I have 8 (5 standards, 3 bantams) in a 28 sq ft coop without problems. They used to have about 200 sq ft of run, and it felt cramped at times. They now have about 380 sq ft, and it finally seems comfortable. Lol! Just illustrating how space guidelines are really just guidelines.

I realize that's not doable for you. Really, just try to give them as much space as possible. I like the idea of the raised coop in your circumstance.

I think if you're planning to start with 3, start with 3 bantams first, and see how it goes from there. I don't have any bantams myself but I'd think it'd be easier to add large chicks to small adults, vs super tiny chicks to much larger adults.

But it's up to you really, if you're not completely stuck on the numbers, maybe by watching how your first group does in the coop and run, you'll have a better idea of how manageable it'll be to add more birds to that space, regardless of bird size.
That was my thought process on the bantams too, that if I had an established flock of bantams and the new comers were full sized, not the other way around, that could help avoid some of the bullying issues.

I saw the title, and I was just going to answer "Bigger." Bigger than what? Doesn't matter. Just bigger. Lol!

Seriously, though, your climate dictates a lot. I live in a very warm climate. It rarely freezes here and frequently gets into the 100s. I can get away with a small coop because all my birds do is sleep in it. I have 8 (5 standards, 3 bantams) in a 28 sq ft coop without problems. They used to have about 200 sq ft of run, and it felt cramped at times. They now have about 380 sq ft, and it finally seems comfortable. Lol! Just illustrating how space guidelines are really just guidelines.

I realize that's not doable for you. Really, just try to give them as much space as possible. I like the idea of the raised coop in your circumstance.
I'm going for maybe 4 bantams and two standards at the end? I'm trying to start with three bantams. From what you said it seems like a coop of 6x5 would be good, but the run size seems to be the problem. I miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight be able to get away with making the part of the run that's outside the coop 6x6 in addition to the 6x5 under the coop, but that's only a maybe.

I'm going for maybe 4 bantams and two standards at the end? I'm trying to start with three bantams. From what you said it seems like a coop of 6x5 would be good, but the run size seems to be the problem. I miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight be able to get away with making the part of the run that's outside the coop 6x6 in addition to the 6x5 under the coop, but that's only a maybe.
*me with a new idea here that may or may not work
if the run is taller, would I be able to add a second level of run? like on top of the first one? Is that a thing that can be done to increase square footage?

You should be fine if your climate is cooperative. But it's always - always - a good idea to give them as much room as you can.

if the run is taller, would I be able to add a second level of run? like on top of the first one? Is that a thing that can be done to increase square footage?
No, not really, but you can put stuff up for them to climb on/under/around which helps.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

What IS your climate?
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1590441315210.png

Update on this: I might not be able to get bantams because where I would LOVE to raise chicks, the other people in my household aren't on top of it, and I can't seem to be able to find any bantam started pullets. I have to wait for August for chickens anyway, so I have plenty of time to figure out a coop. I'll keep working on plans.

Back
Top Bottom