Coop Smell issue?

Quote:
So there ya go, that's your entire problem there, it is a cute and reasonably-designed coop except for a tragic lack of ventilation
tongue.png

Go grab your reciprocating saw, or whatever, and add some ventilation. I would suggest a couple *good sized* openings, none of this "little three inch hole" business. You will have to frame around it on the inside first to keep the siding from falling apart, assuming those are individual siding boards, and *then* cut the hole out once the framing is screwed on securely, but that is very easy to do. Cover the vents with hardwarecloth and your smell problem should be fixed.

Actually, looking at the photos again, you could just remove most or all of one siding board from the upper part of each wall of the coop, that might be simpler. If you remove only 'most' of the board, not 'all', you will again have to screw the framing inside before cutting.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thanks guys, I thought that leaving it open during the day and then having the door open at night would be ok will add some holes to it

Um, if you leave a door open you may need predator protection- do you mean a pop door or a big door? The thing about doors is that they are usually at draft level, whereas vents are usually high up to bleed off moisture and less likely to chill the hens.

Last edited:
I think I mean the pop door (the little one on the front that opens into the caged area. That way they can come out in the morning and then I let them all the way out when I get up (otherwise they start screaming down the house to be let out!)

During the day i leave the top open so that air can get into the hutch.

Wondering with the vets should I have one on either side or one on the front or just one on one side?

With summer flies and the heat.... is there a distance from your house that is ideal to have your coop and run.

We are on the brink of starting to build a 5' x 8' (7' tall) coop with a 10' x 15' covered run.
Presently, the plan is to build the coop 30' from the house. The whole family is a little worried about this since they were starting to stink up the bedroom that the little brooder was in and now at 2 wks of age today have just transited to living in the basement in a 4' x 8' brooder (we have 6 chicks).

We have 6 acres but I want them close to the house as I think I would enjoy them more close by. I plan to put a ton of windows in the coop since we live in Georgia.

Back
Top Bottom