Coop space

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bowen012, Aug 8, 2013.

1. bowen012

bowen012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    Considering getting a Red Bourbon trio and just wondering how much coop space they need?

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Are you building something new, just for them, or combining with other birds??

I house all my turkeys separately from my chickens. The house for the trio is 5 x 7 , about 12 sq ft per bird. With a roost. The hens use the roost, the male is too big to get up there.

For another group, we built a big pen as an add on to there coop-- about 100 by 35 ish. 3 sides are tall 4-5 feet, so they hop over the short side about 3 into another pen, walk to the bottom of the hill and congregate there all day!!

My 3 mo poults run far and wide and ignore all fencing.

3. bowen012

bowen012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    Was hoping to house them in my now unused chicken coop (8x4); but if the space isn't sufficient I can do some building.

4. frank53061

frank53061 Chillin' With My Peeps

If that's what you have use it I have a 4x8 coop that I use for 12 BR Turkeys because that's what I had I put roost 2 ft high and it gives them even more room.
    I have to clean it out every 2 weeks but I think of it this way there only in there to sleep there put up at dark and let out first thing in the morning.
    I deal with the heat and cold by having a expanded aluminum screen door for them for the warmer months to allow good ventilation and in the winter a solid door plus I drilled about 50 1 inch holes in the sides of the coop for ventilation as well.
    I have a 30 by 40 foot pen for them when they are not allowed to free range and they free range often.
    So with only 3 Turkeys that's what I would do.

Its hard to keep only one Tom tho.
    Sickness or predators for some reason will get the one and only Tom a good percentage of the time then your left with no way to reproduce.
    My target number was 5 Hens and 2 Toms but still I have more than I want O Well better to have to many than not enough I say.

Good Luck

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  5. Flowers of Abba

Flowers of Abba Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    South lake tahoe

I realize this post is old but I hope you receive notification of my quote. Is your 30x40 foot yard small enough to keep the hens from flying out. I had read they need a bit of running space to clear a 6 ft fence?
    Thanks..

6. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    My heritage birds if they wanted to could clear a 6 foot fence from a stand still.

My pens are 6 foot tall panels covered. And one of the tons I don't have in the pens will roost on top every night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by