Coop suggestions (also posted under coops)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mithryl, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Mithryl

Mithryl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    So I have been looking into getting chickens or ducks (I'm leaning towards ducks) for a while. My fiance messaged me about a coop he found today that someone is selling (will post a pic). He left the guy a message but we haven't heard back yet, in the event we do end up buying it I have some questions.
    1) what changes would need to be made if I went ducks instead of chickens?
    2) is there a way to clean it well to avoid any cross-contamination?
    3) what would you change/add/get rid of with it?
    I'm mainly just looking for suggestions from others, maybe someone else will see something I don't or have an idea I think is awesome. Thanks in advance

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    That's a pretty slick little coop as far as I'm concerned.

I'm adding ducks this year, (currently brooding) and I'm repurposing my last chicken coop as the duck house, so I've been looking into this quite a bit myself.

I think it's probably stilted too high for ducks, but that looks like blocks that could be easily removed.

The roosts could come out, since the ducks won't use them. If you need to go in to retrieve and egg laid somewhere other than the nesting box, it's one less thing to be in your way.

Other than that, I don't see any reason it won't work. Someone more practiced in the art of keeping ducks may have other input, but there's a lot to like with that little setup. Not the least of which is it's already done!

Cleaning, it looks pretty good as is, but you can scrub it a little more and spray it down with diluted bleach as long as you can leave it open to air and dry out before you put anything else in behind the cleaning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by