Coop that keeps cool in summer

I feel your pain @TeamHermes .
As far as coop design goes I agree with all of the above. Chickens in warm weather can be tricky but it can be done.
You can google "hot weather coop plans" and find lots of great ideas well presented.
View attachment 2593878

I've personally learned to make sure all is as open as possible- including and especially the nest boxes. Best to give girls air at that critical time.
View attachment 2593897View attachment 2593949
Make good use of shade cloth, trees, large overhangs and room on the roost and a well placed fan- always fantastic.View attachment 2593950
View attachment 2593948
Give the girls a safe place from predator's and then make it fun for you and them. You can always add wood or staple feed bags to keep out the wind and rain when needed once your frame and roof is up.
View attachment 2593898
Welcome to BYC, congratulations, good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you for the information! Right now I’m thinking of doing something like your first picture. BYC has been very useful, specially since I wasn’t planning to have a chicken so I wasn’t able to do any research beforehand. But she’s so sweet and I love her!

Thank you for the information! Right now I’m thinking of doing something like your first picture. BYC has been very useful, specially since I wasn’t planning to have a chicken so I wasn’t able to do any research beforehand. But she’s so sweet and I love her!
That is exactly how they get you lol. This time next year you will have 12 and the year after that... lol
She sure is lucky you found her :love
I always think of what I would do if I were to do it again or start over. I love this plan sold on etsy- dreamy.
1617237161069.png

modified of course, but close 🌴;)

Circumstances always change. When I first started out my DH gave me crap over every 2x4 I bought, every inch of space I used. Fast forward a few years, he has willingly put a lot of efforts into my chicken keeping from help with the fences to building nest boxes and my lastest bachelor coop lol. Must have been the eggs that sold him on them or the happy wife... :confused:

Last edited:
I feel your pain @TeamHermes .
As far as coop design goes I agree with all of the above. Chickens in warm weather can be tricky but it can be done.
You can google "hot weather coop plans" and find lots of great ideas well presented.
View attachment 2593878

I've personally learned to make sure all is as open as possible- including and especially the nest boxes. Best to give girls air at that critical time.
View attachment 2593897View attachment 2593949
Make good use of shade cloth, trees, large overhangs and room on the roost and a well placed fan- always fantastic.View attachment 2593950
View attachment 2593948
Give the girls a safe place from predator's and then make it fun for you and them. You can always add wood or staple feed bags to keep out the wind and rain when needed once your frame and roof is up.
View attachment 2593898
Welcome to BYC, congratulations, good luck and keep us posted!

Do you have a coop page for that? It's great!

Back
Top Bottom