Coop thoughts?

But will it be okay if they only sleep in it! And free range all day?
Gonna page @3KillerBs on this because I know she has a great write up on why having a certain amount of space in the coop can be important, because situations can arise where birds need to be "cooped up."

For me, I've had to lock the birds in the coop due to flooding. But there's a variety of other things that could happen that could require you to lock them in.

Gonna page @3KillerBs on this because I know she has a great write up on why having a certain amount of space in the coop can be important, because situations can arise where birds need to be "cooped up."

For me, I've had to lock the birds in the coop due to flooding. But there's a variety of other things that could happen that could require you to lock them in.
That's makes sense thank you.

I usally just put them in garage for stuff like that but it would be helpful to not having to lol

I will say for a prefab coop these are probably among the better ones. Not perfect but a lot roomier and less flimsy for sure.0
Ok good to know. Well in your opinion what about this one how many would it fit? Same brand and layout just bigger
Screenshot_20220218-233408_Samsung Internet.jpg

Assuming nestboxes are only on 1 side, that's about 33 sq ft, so 8 hens if you allow for 4 sq ft a piece (or 11 hens at 3 sq ft a piece).

One possible thing to consider is you could possibly remove a few nest box partitions to open up a little more floor space, maybe put feeders in it or something.

Assuming nestboxes are only on 1 side, that's about 33 sq ft, so 8 hens if you allow for 4 sq ft a piece (or 11 hens at 3 sq ft a piece).

One possible thing to consider is you could possibly remove a few nest box partitions to open up a little more floor space, maybe put feeders in it or something.
So my plan and tell me what you think. Is to have 3 nesting boxes. Knock the other 3 out and put roosting bar there and then there's another long roost on the same side.

So my plan and tell me what you think. Is to have 3 nesting boxes. Knock the other 3 out and put roosting bar there and then there's another long roost on the same side.
Won't work to put a roost bar there, there's not going to be any head space above it.

There should be 1 or 2 roosts running lengthwise in these coops, IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom