Coop too small, problems feel big.

Houdini56

Chirping
Mar 5, 2019
Sequim, Washington
I made an impulse buy of a small coop/run kit that we put together a few days ago. Now, the more I read as I try to figure out how to place roosts, ventilation needed, etc., the more I feel like we made a big mistake with no easy fix. We agree we won't take it apart and return it (it would have to be shipped). We will have to try to tweak it. Fortunately I live with a builder (though part of the reason I bought a kit was because I didn't want him to have to deal with this project..oh, well.)

We have 4 golden comet chicks, though may only end up with 3 hens because one may be a rooster. The coop/house, advertised as 3 feet by 3 feet (nest boxes not included in that measurement, they are added on), is in reality about 32 x 34 inches inside. Just the subject of ventilation alone has overwhelmed me as I guess I would have to make most of the back wall into a hinged window according to the numbers I'm reading.

I realize I'm throwing out a broad net, but just curious about what others may have done when they needed more space without starting from the ground up. Here's some photos of the house. The run is small, but we've got lots of plans for expanding that, and the hens will be ranged in a chicken tractor during the drier months.
IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

The roosts are my first challenge, as the "vent" windows are set at mid height so the roosts will have to be very low or fairly high. When I was looking at options I started reading about ventilation, and before long I had (almost) lost hope.

My partner thinks its well built, and I trust his judgment as he built houses for years (including ours)....I just wish I could add even another foot to it without a major remodel!

I do realize it was an impulsive purchase that required more research first, and this isn't the first time I've done that in my life, but it IS the first time 4 little live ones were counting on me to do it right.... :barnie

Yeah, those are pretty small and made of weak wood. :(

I agree it would work as a grow out coop while they are 18 weeks or younger.

Maybe it could be beefed up to handle being a tractor coop and moved often.

Even as a grow out or hospital coop the wire needs more securing. How they attach it is a very very high fail point. The staples they use in that weak wood give out. Using 1x2's to sandwich the wire will keep it from letting go.

Ventilation...... Cutting vents in as high as possible will keep the drafts off the sleeping birds. Yes getting a square foot per bird is very difficult. In reality you need air to move to keep the air from becoming to humid. A small vent down low will draw air in as warmer air exits the higher vents. That means you don't have to remove an entire wall.

I second the shed (which would still need modified) or a hoop coop for better space.

If building from scratch a 4x8 walk in coop is nice for keeping just a few birds. ;)
No rain running down your back while collecting eggs, feeding birds or cleaning the coop.

Since you've already said you'd like to modify it rather than return, what I'd suggest is:

OPTION 1

1) Move the roost bars (or replace with better ones, those might be narrow?) up so they sit above the nest box height. Due to lack of space there might only be room for one bar.
2) For ventilation see if you can cut out some of the wood planks towards the top of the coop. Replace with wire mesh. The amount and side(s) you have open will depend on how wind/rain falls at your location. I wouldn't worry about the roost height relative to windows - if you have to you can fashion some sort of removable cover or awning to deflect rain and water from those windows.

Note that space WILL still be tight even for 3 birds in there.

OPTION 2

Other option is to modify the entire unit to serve as a coop. That means removing internal walls/part of walls that separate the "coop" part from the "run" part and treating it as an open coop. Remove the roosts and run a new roost lengthwise across the open space. For wind/weather protection, use wood/paneling to cover up some of the wire mesh in the direction of prevailing winds. Benefit of this is it provides more space, including roost space, and also takes care of ventilation, as long as you don't give in to the urge to cover up all the wire walls.

If you're worried about losing the run, you were going to have to add a run anyhow, so there's no real loss of space.

If you decide that you want something more permanent later on, you can always reuse this unit as an isolation cage/brooder.

Last edited:
If you are going to keep it, why not use that coop for brooding chicks or as a place to keep them after brooding to integrate them into the main flock. That will give you a couple months to get a bigger coop.

Those premade coops are very expensive and not made of much. They make them look huge by the picture on the box. If you have a builder, then you can still come out cheaper by building your own shed of similar size as what Lowes has. Just go by there and inspect theirs and you will have your plans.

Back
Top Bottom