Coop Training in the hotter months?

SmashleyReece

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
I've recently introduced 2 new hens to my flock of 3. They need some help adjusting to the new coop, as each night I'm putting the new ones to bed myself. In cooler weather I'd have no issue keeping them in the coop for a few days but with daytime temps in the 80's it's not an option. Any suggestions? Anyone have luck with turning a light on in the coop at dusk to lure them in? Thanks!

Eighty isn't too warm yet to keep them in the coop. Rather now then when it's hotter. I'll say this not just for you but every one who has a new coop. Look at ways you can increase the ventilation to keep the coop cooler when the warmer weather hits. More air flow is aways a good thing in hot weather. A small light can lure them in at dusk. but it is a mixed bag whether it will work.

Thanks for your input! I have an existing coop that isn't very well ventilated, but I am almost finished with a new one that I designed and built and it has a lot of ventilation. Will probably keep them in that new coop for several days to get them acclimated, when I finally move them.

Back
Top Bottom