Coop transition questions

Yogimama

Chirping
Apr 17, 2022
Central NYS
The coop is 99.9% done and chicks are moving in tonite! They are approx 5 weeks old. We have a couple of nights in the next few weeks forecasted to be upper 40’s, so I’ll be giving them access to their brooder plate in the coop (even though I have only seen a few use it in the last few days). And they will have full access to thier run during the day. I plan to open coop at 6 am and have them closed in around 8 pm.

The question is, do I need to keep water/food in the coop at night for a little while longer? At what age is it ok to just leave it in the run full time?

Pic of Bean, the SW, just because she’s cute 🥰

Attachments

• 8E5E1B23-8516-4F4C-96DE-392E62B7998A.jpeg
    8E5E1B23-8516-4F4C-96DE-392E62B7998A.jpeg
    497.2 KB · Views: 23
The coop is 99.9% done and chicks are moving in tonite! They are approx 5 weeks old. We have a couple of nights in the next few weeks forecasted to be upper 40’s, so I’ll be giving them access to their brooder plate in the coop (even though I have only seen a few use it in the last few days). And they will have full access to thier run during the day. I plan to open coop at 6 am and have them closed in around 8 pm.

The question is, do I need to keep water/food in the coop at night for a little while longer? At what age is it ok to just leave it in the run full time?

Pic of Bean, the SW, just because she’s cute 🥰
In my opinion it isn't a good idea to leave food in the coop. Apart from attracting rats, mice and whatever other creatures you may have that will eat it, it is very helpful to see the chicks eat. You will be able to see which if any isn't getting the amount of feed it needs and identify the feeding time bullies.
At five weeks they should be fine eating in the run. I and mum used to have chicks eating in the run on day two so it's just a question of warmth for the chicks which you should monitor.

Yes, I do not want food in the coop long term. I just wasn’t sure if they were too young to go without it overnight.
I do plan to have thier brooder plate in the coop, for at least another week or 2. They’ve been outside quite a bit this last week in temps from 55-75 and seemed to do alright (huddled a bit for a few minutes here and there at the colder end of that), so I assumed with a few nights around 48, they’ll appreciate the warmth. The house is set at 65, and most of them have been roosting at night on a little roost I set up in their brooder.

They shouldn’t need food or water overnight at that age. They will likely pile up in a corner of the coop with bedding around them or snuggle into a huddle box if they have already weaned themselves from the brooder plate and have most of their feathers, especially if it gets warm during the day.

The first couple of nights you may have to round them up and put them into the coop until they get used to the routine if there are no older ones with them. They will get the hang of it quickly though.

Good luck with the transition. It’s a big step forward and makes life easier for everyone when they can get settled in their home.

They'll be fine without food or water overnight.

As far as bedtime, is 8 PM dusk for you? They won't naturally want to seek shelter (the coop) for the night until then, so depending on when dusk falls, you may have an easier or harder time wrangling them if you're trying to work on a set schedule.

They'll be fine without food or water overnight.

As far as bedtime, is 8 PM dusk for you? They won't naturally want to seek shelter (the coop) for the night until then, so depending on when dusk falls, you may have an easier or harder time wrangling them if you're trying to work on a set schedule.
We did 8:30 the first night. Last night was later & less traumatic because they had already sleepy & huddled into a box I have in the run so they were much easier to move into the coop. Seems like 9 is better then 8.
I’m putting a small light in the coop tonight to see if that helps them WANT to go in. A small flashlight did nothing last night 😂

I’m also keeping the coop doors open during the day so they can explore the coop if they choose. Until I get the window in this weekend, it’s too dark in there even during the day with the doors shut.

With those red wattles at five weeks, that posture, and legs I think Bean is a boy. Sorry.

You've been getting good advice. Just hatched chicks sleep all night under a broody hen, not eating or drinking at all. They aren't going to eat in the dark, they can't see. As long as you don't keep them locked in the coop until way late, feeding in the run works. I give mine access to the run and coop all day and let them decide where they want to be. With my set-up, that's usually the run. But in bad weather or if they have a predator scare they may go inside.

As long as they have good ventilation and are protected against breezes at their level they should not need any supplemental heat at that age. There is nothing wrong with giving them the option of a place to warm up if they want to use it, but go by what you see. Don't be surprised of they ignore it completely.

What sometimes happens is that the coop is too dark for them to be able to see to go to bed. Hopefully your window will fix that. So sometimes using a light at bedtime can help get them to go in there at dusk. But they have just moved out there and aren't in the habit of sleeping in the coop yet. Even with a light or after that window is in you may need to move them in the coop until they get in that habit. As you noticed, that's easier after it is dark enough for them to settle. If you are consistent moving them inside they will get that message. My broods are usually in the range of 20 chicks. I've had broods learn to go in at night almost immediately, I have a couple of times it took 3 weeks for the last few to learn to go in. Most of the time they all learn in about a week.

With those red wattles at five weeks, that posture, and legs I think Bean is a boy. Sorry.

You've been getting good advice. Just hatched chicks sleep all night under a broody hen, not eating or drinking at all. They aren't going to eat in the dark, they can't see. As long as you don't keep them locked in the coop until way late, feeding in the run works. I give mine access to the run and coop all day and let them decide where they want to be. With my set-up, that's usually the run. But in bad weather or if they have a predator scare they may go inside.

As long as they have good ventilation and are protected against breezes at their level they should not need any supplemental heat at that age. There is nothing wrong with giving them the option of a place to warm up if they want to use it, but go by what you see. Don't be surprised of they ignore it completely.

What sometimes happens is that the coop is too dark for them to be able to see to go to bed. Hopefully your window will fix that. So sometimes using a light at bedtime can help get them to go in there at dusk. But they have just moved out there and aren't in the habit of sleeping in the coop yet. Even with a light or after that window is in you may need to move them in the coop until they get in that habit. As you noticed, that's easier after it is dark enough for them to settle. If you are consistent moving them inside they will get that message. My broods are usually in the range of 20 chicks. I've had broods learn to go in at night almost immediately, I have a couple of times it took 3 weeks for the last few to learn to go in. Most of the time they all learn in about a week.
I’m suspecting Bean is a roo as well. I posted all the chicks for a pullet vs roo guessing game in the appropriate board, but out of the 6, that’s the one I really think is a roo. I personally would love to have a roo (as long as he’s nice), but with such a small flock am hopeful I only have one.

Thanks for the advice, and confirmation on the other stuff! This is definitely a learning experience, but I am enjoying every minute!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom