Coop Updates for Biosecurity -HPAI

Free- ranging. Technically, mine and yours are free range as they have the ability to go out doors and scratch on natural substrate and act like normal chickens. However, its behind a protective fence. But, no, I dont want to truly free-range bc my neighbors would tire of chickens in their yard. And I would tire of them eating my garden.
Cool. I never thought of my chickens as being free range. They have about 20sf each out in their run, so I feel good about how they live. I don't ever plan to let them out, as there are a lot of predators here. Hawks and eagles from above, raccoons, opossum, skunks, and possibly coyotes on the ground. And our dog and the neighbor's dog.

And possibly HPAI. So I'm glad they have as much of a "safe house" as I can give them.

I haven't heard this! Where have you seen this info? I wonder how it works, if the chickens would need any further boosters, or yearly shots (like human flu vaccine).

Thats good to know! I really hope this does disappear soon!

There are 2 types of AI: a low pathogenic one, and a High Pathogeneic one. HPAI (highly pathogenic Avian Influenza) is the one they are concerned about. Once it appears, most chickens die, but the ones that survive are carriers and shed the virus. Thats why they depopulate entire flocks.
The news that they are allmost ready to vaccinate was in several newspapers , government news and and on a information forum about/ for backyard livestock here in the Netherlands.

This year we have the high pathogenic flew. But we have different types of avian flew for (i think) 4 years on a row now.
The main problem id not the back yard chickens but the huge chicken and duck farms and the wild birds like ****s and geese (and other poultry/poultry like birds).

HPAI found in Ohio last week. I still need to cover the last bit of run, but that should go quickly. I’m happy with the 1” square HD deer netting. It has held up to some strong winds. Chicks have not gotten through the chain links bc the netting is covering the entire chain link to the ground.
It works pretty well, for what it is. I have 6 foot high as my garden fence! Keeps the deer out, but unfortunately not the squirrels. It's also what I've used to add on my hoop runs.

HPAI found in Ohio last week. I still need to cover the last bit of run, but that should go quickly. I’m happy with the 1” square HD deer netting. It has held up to some strong winds. Chicks have not gotten through the chain links bc the netting is covering the entire chain link to the ground.
That's good to read.

We were plotting out the auxiliary (but for now extra) run area over the weekend. Just so I understand—you are putting the HD deer netting over chain link?

Do you think the combo would hold up well against, say, raccoons? Mink? We have everything out here. The dog and I are out a fair amount during the day, especially now that it's warming up and the garden is beginning, but obviously we can't be out all day...

That's good to read.

We were plotting out the auxiliary (but for now extra) run area over the weekend. Just so I understand—you are putting the HD deer netting over chain link?

Do you think the combo would hold up well against, say, raccoons? Mink? We have everything out here. The dog and I are out a fair amount during the day, especially now that it's warming up and the garden is beginning, but obviously we can't be out all day...

I put mine up on the outside of the chain link. No, I don’t think it would withstand a raccoon, but putting it on the inside of the chain link might help with that. I bought extra in case it would need replacing since it’s fairly inexpensive!

I stopped letting my girls free range about two weeks ago- yesterday I decided they shouldn't even go in the attached fenced in area since it is open to above. I have removed all of my yard bird feeders, locked the girls in their 200 sq ft coop (I currently have 4 hens) and I am washing their water dish to keep it extra clean. My hubby and I practice biosecurity and yesterday I washed our coop shoes in a bleach water solution.

My next question is around baby chicks as I have an order set to come from Mount Healthy Hatchery for the end of April. I think I am going to just continue to monitor day by day.

I love my girls and do not want them to get sick. They deserve the best care that I can give and I plan on doing that until it gets warmer here on Long Island.

I think it is a wait and see approach, but at least now they are safe and wild birds cannot get in or poop in their coop since it is completely covered with roofing shingles.

Last edited:
I stopped letting my girls free range about two weeks ago- yesterday I decided they shouldn't even go in the attached fenced in area since it is open to above. I have removed all of my yard bird feeders, locked the girls in their 200 sq ft coop (I currently have 4 hens) and I am washing their water dish to keep it extra clean. My hubby and I practice biosecurity and yesterday I washed our coop shoes in a bleach water solution.

My next question is around baby chicks as I have an order set to come from Mount Healthy Hatchery for the end of April. I think I am going to just continue to monitor day by day.

I love my girls and do not want them to get sick. They deserve the best care that I can give and I plan on doing that until it gets warmer here on Long Island.

I think it is a wait and see approach, but at least now they are safe and wild birds cannot get in or poop in their coop since it is completely covered with roofing shingles.

Here too! Our run is roofed, but we need gutters. Still no active wild birds in/out, so that is important. No bird feeders nearby.

We have an order for chicks from a different Ohio hatchery that I can drive to. We will pick up 3 rd week of April. Hoping that they do not have any HPAI issues. we have an order in for August with Meyer hatchery - we will pickup there as well, although that is a longer drive. Again, hoping they aren’t impacted due to HPAI.

Can you drive to Mt Healthy hatchery for pickup or will they be mailed?

Here too! Our run is roofed, but we need gutters. Still no active wild birds in/out, so that is important. No bird feeders nearby.

We have an order for chicks from a different Ohio hatchery that I can drive to. We will pick up 3 rd week of April. Hoping that they do not have any HPAI issues. we have an order in for August with Meyer hatchery - we will pickup there as well, although that is a longer drive. Again, hoping they aren’t impacted due to HPAI.

Can you drive to Mt Healthy hatchery for pickup or will they be mailed?
I mean- technically I can drive - but that would be a long journey from Mount Healthy with those peepers! (12 hours straight) so I will keep their mail date to us from the USPS

Back
Top Bottom