Coop Updates!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iBoodle, Sep 2, 2011.

1. iBoodle

iBoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    My dad graciously helped me update my coop a lot a couple of weeks ago, and I am just now getting to the picture posting.
    Before full view:
    [​IMG]

After full view:
    [​IMG]

Before inside:

[​IMG]

After inside:
    [​IMG]

Before run:
    [​IMG]

After full run view:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The run butts up to a 20+ acre field, this is where I gather the wheat type weeds for their bedding, and where I also fling their poop! [​IMG]
    Most days, one of the 9 horses that live out there come up for a visit. Or just to terrorize my nervous chickens! [​IMG]

The little "wind-blocking-sun-blocking" lean-to.
    [​IMG]

Malachi and Peep!
    [​IMG]

New boards were nailed onto the sides to replace the crappy job I did to keep out animals. I don't have pictures of it after, but you can kind of see them in the first couple of pictures. The first boards I used were pitiful.

Also, this is the little house/hut thing that I flipped upside down to use as a nesting box:
    [​IMG]
    Which then turned into this:
    [​IMG] (right side)
    Which I found out today that they are using! [​IMG]

We also replaced the boards on the floor, not more chicken wire for them to stand on! And, the boards all fit together perfectly! (There are only 2 compared to the 3 before.)
    Today, I am going out to try and find something that will work as a roosting bar, as my chickens don't have one quite yet.
    The little table you see in front of the coop is there until my dad builds a little ramp for them. They used to be able to jump right up into the coop, until I clipped their wings.

Hopefully someday I'll have a real coop, but this'll do for now! [​IMG]
    Becca

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    You all did a great job!! I love it. It's so nice and cozy. I bet you have some happy chickens.

[​IMG]

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Nice job! [​IMG]

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good job! looks like a sturdy little coop! [​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Perfect setup for that sexy pair![​IMG]

6. iBoodle

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
  7. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. It gets the job done. [​IMG]

8. iBoodle

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks! I also modified the nest box by tacking a small piece of wood on the front so the eggs don't roll out and off the box! [​IMG]

9. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Looks good, but what will you do in the wintertime?? Idaho is purty darn cold . . . that doesn't seem as if it would work when the temps get down!

10. iBoodle

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    Pawsplus, um. I haven't really figured that out yet. I was going to put a tarp around it and then put a towel on the front that is exposed. I will also add a lot of the wheat seed stuff that is out in the field behind my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by