Coop ventilation and warmth

Beckaberry

Songster
10 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Media, PA
Hi everybody~ I don't want to seem like a knucklehead here, but I'm having some issues with understanding something. I want to keep my chickens warm this winter, but also understand the importance of proper ventilation. How do I get proper ventilation without having drafts? That just seems impossible to me! Btw, I am a first time owner with 2 four month old Austrolorpe and 3 Barred Rock.

My coop is homeade and not like anything else out there! It has two screened windows on each of its four sides and the door is also screened. It also has a curved roof that has a small screened vented area under the soffets on top. Now, all of these windows were fantastic for the summer, but is it too much for the winter? How do I make it warm enough without making it too ammonia-ey inside?

We did build covers for all of the windows. And lastly, my coop is not insulated. Is this a big problem? We live outside of Philadelphia with hot summers and moderately cold winters (could get down to 20-30 degrees)

Thanks a million for any input! I love my girls!

I would have to see pics but I think the big thing is just to make sure that the draft of wind isn't flowing directly over your girls as they roost, if that makes sense. I have pretty good ventilation,too,but their roost is their "safe place", to hunker down, get close, and puff up feathers for warmth. In what feels like my past life as a wildlife biologist, birds have "pilomotor" reflexes to allow them to "goose bump" and arrange their feathers in a way that traps more heat for warmth. Anyhow....what is their roosting spot like?

Hi Beckaberry - do you have any pictures? From what I've read from more experienced chicken lovers, air moving directly on a chicken is a draft. Air moving above their head is ventilation. As long as your roost is below your vents you should be fine.

I'm in NJ and it has gotten much cooler lately, and I'm constantly worried that they will be too cold!! They are fine though.

Ok, I think I know what you guys mean.... I don't remember how to post pics on here. Can I do it on this particular thread?

Wink, The coop is about 5' high and their roosting spot is at the very top inside the domed roof. I "tuck them in" everynight and they all snuggle close and seem to be pretty warm.

Peeps, I have been thinking also that my little girls are going to be cold lately, but you're right, they seem fine. I hate the rain/cold combination for them. I feel like it is harder to get warm for them that way.

I'm gonna look into posting pics and that way I can share more.
Thanks!!!!!

Down above the reply box is a menu (under the word Reply) the first icon in the last section on the right, if you put your mouse over it, should say 'insert image'. Click on that, then upload files. From there you can search and select them.

Back
Top Bottom