Coop ventilation help

Jana912

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2022
I bought this coop used. I am a relatively new chicken owner with 5 chickens who do not free range. The summer was great because the roosting bar is close to two large windows but I seem to be struggling this winter (New England) with frostbite. I close the door to the run every night and don’t leave water inside the coop. I’d like some ideas of what and where to add ventilation.

I plan to possibly move the roost bar back towards the nesting boxes but they need enough room to get in those.
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• D65E1684-DAF7-4548-8E24-F8693ADD3D7B.jpeg
    D65E1684-DAF7-4548-8E24-F8693ADD3D7B.jpeg
    703.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 196B2EDE-6183-4B6F-B098-2C00189F7B4B.jpeg
    196B2EDE-6183-4B6F-B098-2C00189F7B4B.jpeg
    860.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2F55929C-F395-4888-B440-5BEAF3CA6D4F.jpeg
    2F55929C-F395-4888-B440-5BEAF3CA6D4F.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 14
  • D0F600F8-7A31-4034-B46E-5C08F42C1650.jpeg
    D0F600F8-7A31-4034-B46E-5C08F42C1650.jpeg
    822.6 KB · Views: 12
You are correct that you don't have nearly enough ventilation with those large windows closed. Clearly you can't open those back up again until the warm weather returns, but you could open up a lot more ventilation at the top of your coop. Would it be possible to remove most of that top strip of particleboard (the part that currently looks to have just one circular hole cut out) and replace with hardware cloth?

Paging @aart since they are the experts on this subject.

You are correct that you don't have nearly enough ventilation with those large windows closed. Clearly you can't open those back up again until the warm weather returns, but you could open up a lot more ventilation at the top of your coop. Would it be possible to remove most of that top strip of particleboard (the part that currently looks to have just one circular hole cut out) and replace with hardware cloth?

Paging @aart since they are the experts on this subject.
There are two of those holes on that side. The problem is that the roost towards the left corner (left of window), and I’m trying to figure out how to evenly distribute the ventilation. I’m not sure if it makes sense to make more above the run door, where they don’t roost. I don’t have access to a saw at the moment but have the hole saw attachment, it’s probably about 4in in diameter.

I seem to be struggling this winter (New England)
That can happen even with great ventilation.
Where in NE and what are temps?
Measuring temp and humidity both inside and outside coop(they should be about the same) will let you know if you have enough ventilation

Pics of coop from outside might help here.

Measuring temp and humidity both inside and outside coop(they should be about the same)

I am a novice for chicken raising, too. This is our second winter. It's hard to measure the "area" of ventilation since the rate the air turns over also depends on wind speed and how the vents are located w.r.t. to wind direction.

I found that using instruments makes it a lot easier to measure the effects of your modification. Bluetooth thermometer/hygrometer ($10/each) really helps - we install one inside the coop, and one outside the coop (in a covered area, so no rain/snow on the unit) for comparison. It's extremely helpful.

I’m trying to figure out how to evenly distribute the ventilation.

For our set up, I've learned what's important is if there is a way the air can flow without causing draft. So, the distribution needs to allow a path for airflow (in and out), and way above their head.

We have two small coops, even the bigger one's inside height is only about 5ft tall, not a lot of room for error. I leave whatever I can open, but also redirect (but never block) the ventilation so that there is no strong draft blow directly into the coop.

I use my hand to feel, a stick incense to see how the smoke flows. And final judgement by the hygrometer reading. It's a battle fighting the blistering wind while making sure the air can go nicely in and out! Somehow I've been able to manage keeping the coop dry (they only sleep there, and I pick up their poops daily, so I can check if there is any moisture in the bedding)

I'd cut the entire strip of outside sheathing out where the rafters sit on the top plate and cover it with hardware cloth. Leave that open 24/7. Only worry about the windows for letting light in.

Once that is done turn your roosting bar so the widest part is up and raise it above the door.

How big is the coop? How many birds do you have? What breed are they? What temps are you facing?

My coop is a very open design. The fenced area is right at 6 feet tall and I have a lean-to at one end and the other end has 4 foot plywood panels around the bottom. I know that my area is much more weather friendly though.

Sounds like you got some good advice from the more Northern folks.

Back
Top Bottom