Coop/Ventilation/Run/AntiTheft

Mine wanted a 3 car garage too! But then he never used it?! He's a little salty about the chickens using it, but honestly... What else is happening there? Spider breeding?
I think it'd be easy to add ventilation. Leave a door or two open and screen with hardware cloth. Add windows, maybe. At that size, you could add a varn fan. Really, it'd be a barn, basically. I'd be all over that! So many possibilities! What fun!

We do get 0°F weather in the winter. Not sure how chicken-cold that is.
That temperature is fine for most breeds of chickens, with the following conditions:
--they are out of the wind
--they had a chance to adjust to the temperatures during the fall and early winter
--you provide enough food and water

When I say "out of the wind," I mean not enough wind to ruffle up their feathers when they sit on the roost. Gentle air movement is still good to have. It is fine for them to go outside into windy places if they choose, so long as they have the option to get out of the wind when they choose (like going back into the coop.)

When I say they need "enough water," I mean water that is not frozen. You can do that with a heated waterer. Or you can bring them fresh water when they wake up (sunrise), about an hour before dark, and as-needed in between. The "as-needed" will vary depending on the temperature, because the water freezes faster or slower. They do not drink in the dark, so no need to be hauling water at night. Even on the coldest days, every 2 hours seems to be often enough (rather than checking every 20 minutes.)

If you do intend to carry water to them in the winter, do yourself a big favor and buy two waterers. That means one can be outside freezing while the other is inside thawing. Or use something like a rubber dog dish, so you can knock out the ice without breaking the dish.

It's fine for "most" breeds of chickens because large combs and droopy wattles can get frostbite, and a few specific breeds don't do well in cold temperatures. Most dual-purpose type chickens should be fine.

Mine wanted a 3 car garage too! But then he never used it?! He's a little salty about the chickens using it, but honestly... What else is happening there? Spider breeding?
You snooze you loose 🤣. My husband has a use for a 3 car garage. BUT if I got more chickens and put them in there until he built another coop, he would built it fast. 😂

You snooze you loose 🤣. My husband has a use for a 3 car garage. BUT if I got more chickens and put them in there until he built another coop, he would built it fast. 😂

Our property came with a 1-car carport. I wanted it for a chicken coop but my SIL, with whom we share the property, insists on actually parking her car in it. :lau

Back
Top Bottom