Coop ventilation windows

Chickolett

Chirping
May 20, 2022
Upstate NY
I've been looking at different coop photos to get ideas for our coop build. Was checking out Carolina Coops and all of their designs have windows that open at roost level. I'm confused because I thought the roosting area should be free of drafts and ventilation placed up high and down low? Are these coops just for warm climates or are the windows meant to be closed each night? Thanks!

Roost level windows (top hinged) AND high ventilation between the rafters, on the gable peaks and in the ridge with low ventilation coming in through the pop doors. Only the roost level windows are closed for the winter. During the summer, they offer much need cross breezes over the roosts.
I don't know if the Carolina coops have properly installed winter time ventilation.
Ventilation.png

I've been looking at different coop photos to get ideas for our coop build. Was checking out Carolina Coops and all of their designs have windows that open at roost level. I'm confused because I thought the roosting area should be free of drafts and ventilation placed up high and down low? Are these coops just for warm climates or are the windows meant to be closed each night? Thanks!
Correct, That type of coop is designed for warm climates.
All of my windows are at roost hight, but are closed tight during the winter. All of my 24/7/365 ventilation is about 2'+ above there heads when on roost.

Welcome to BYC.

Unfortunately, coops for sale are often designed to please humans' sense of aesthetics rather than chickens' needs.

If you put your general location into your profile people will be able to give you better-targeted advice. Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

A cross breeze at roost level can be valuable for people in hot summer areas where the nights don't cool off much but is generally to be avoided for anyone else. :)

I do think its cute for them to have a view from their roosts, but I don't think its right for our cold winters.
Nothing wrong with windows at roost hight during the winter as long as they are closed tight with no drafts coming through them. Common to get -20 in my area, upstate NY also. Haven't had any issues. Well ventilated, draft free coop is the key.
My window are open all the time once the nights stay 45° and above.

we have the frame built already. the raised coop will measure 12x8' and 12' inside height. So I think we should have plenty of space for ventilation under the eaves and ridge cap. does there need to be any ventilation openings near the bottom of the coop?

@3KillerBs the drawing of the blowing chicken made me laugh, definitely don't want that 😂

does there need to be any ventilation openings near the bottom of the coop?

Low ventilation is useful in hot weather. I have a low vent in my Little Monitor Coop:

But you need to be able to close it to avoid this:

upskirt-png-png.3118595

@3KillerBs the drawing of the blowing chicken made me laugh, definitely don't want that 😂

I'm glad because I'm working on an article that uses humor to help people understand coop ventilation. :)

Back
Top Bottom