Coop ventilation

d05fbb11f35d3c625f59d4fb340a5c8b.jpg

5b7e3e997ad8b3e3ccdcb56322a76cb3.jpg

I forgot to mention above, coop is placed under a row of walnut trees. That means it will have shade from the sun in the hottest weather, and full exposure in fall thru early spring. Coop is painted dark for solar gain in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and I could add eaves. This is just how it comes from cconly. No issues with customizing.

Oh, I'd add eaves(deep eaves all the way around) and a ridge vent (and gable vents).... for sure...... and move those nests down, per our discussion on other thread.
You could put roost board and roost on top of nests if you move nests down.
I know it's a lot, and your chicks are ready to move out of the brooder, but it will save you much grief in the future.
Buddy of mine used to say...."Fix it now, or it'll be Forever Fouled'.

All easily doable, with the exception of moving the nests. I guess I'd have been better off buying the 4' X 6' coop, which does have a second set of nests down lower., but advice I read right here pointed me toward the 4x4 foot coop.

Do you really think the nest location is a serious issue? I can't imagine they'd not have set them lower, if it were a serious problem.

All easily doable, with the exception of moving the nests. I guess I'd have been better off buying the 4' X 6' coop, which does have a second set of nests down lower., but advice I read right here pointed me toward the 4x4 foot coop.

Do you really think the nest location is a serious issue? I can't imagine they'd not have set them lower, if it were a serious problem.

Unfortunately most coop manufacturers design more for human convenience than what the chickens really need. I could be wrong but my guess is that those nest boxes are at that height so you don't have to bend over to collect the eggs. I suppose you could just wait and see what happens but chickens typically are going to want to roost as high as they can.

I do think it's an issue, because of wanting to have the roost higher than the nests so they don't roost (sleep) and thus poop in the nests.
If you put your roost higher than nests where they are now to avoid that problem, they are going to have a hard time getting down from roost with crashing into wall.
it also puts them closer to the roof and winter ventilation areas risking undue draft exposure.

Got a pic of the inside of coop to see the nests?
I imagine they are taking up some valuable space in there.
Ideally you could put the nests lower and on the outside of coop to free up some space inside.
You could use old nest opening in wall for a top hinged window.

You could leave the nests as is and just adjust your daily management tasks to keep nests clean.
Cover the nests around roost time, then uncover after they are asleep or very early in the morning.
I'd still extend the roof to form good deep eaves all around tho, for sliding window and high ventilation coverage.

Commercial coop designs are fraught with illogical design aspects, but they are very good at marketing.
I have seen very few prefab or kit coops that make much sense.
I've read dozens, if not hundreds, of threads and posts here of folks dealing with the issues generated from bad coop design.

Vent will be covered by covered run roof, which will tee into this roof like a dormer, but yeah, covering that sliding window with rave or awning would be good.

Here's inside.

84bc39a74ac962c9f3ac6dce95d9afff.jpg

64c9cd9d2ecacc653213ae42957f4d07.jpg

What I find most irritating is that the 4x6 coop I was going to buy had a second row of nests below this. I let myself be talked out of that larger coop by a thread here in which someone said "up to 4 sq ft per bird". So, I went with this smaller coop, and now it looks like I have a problem.

I can't make new nests external, due to the location of the site I prepared.

I think I found a way to move the nesting boxes down, without major surgery. I may destroy them getting them out, but I can build new. After moving them down, I'll see if I have to move the door. Goal was to have my 7 year old be the egg fetcher, which means lower nests would actually be better, but a high door with low nests may fool that plan.

I would shoot for moving the nests so that the bottom of nests are 18" off floor, that way you won't lose floor space inside.
Keep thinking, you'll figure it out.

ETA:I'd make egg access lower too....put poop board and roost on top of nests.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom