coop ventilation

zoruagalaxy

Chirping
Apr 6, 2022
Southern TX
I live in a place that can get very hot during the summer, and i have a coop that has three sides covered including the roof by a rain and tear resistant tarp. But the front and door are open for air for the chickens. The coop is covered with chicken wire, Is that enough for them not to get hot during the night when they roost? or should i only have the sides covered so there can be ventilation flowing from front to back? I also want them to feel safe in their coop while they sleep, not having to worry about seeing a cat or other preditor during the night.

Welcome to BYC.

If you put your general location into your profile it will be easy for people to give targeted advice. :)

Also, if you post photos of your coop setup it would be helpful.

I'm in a hot climate too and collected a lot of information I'd learned into this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

An Open Air coop is excellent for a hot area. I agree that chickens like a sheltered roost, but they also need airflow so, unless photos change my opinion, I think that you should open vents at the top of all the covered walls -- like in this photo (which is my brooder, so it's got 4 walls except that the other end opens completely if I want it to):

cover-image

Air needs to be able to flow through to carry heat away.

Airflow Crayon.png

Welcome to BYC.

If you put your general location into your profile it will be easy for people to give targeted advice. :)

Also, if you post photos of your coop setup it would be helpful.

I'm in a hot climate too and collected a lot of information I'd learned into this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

An Open Air coop is excellent for a hot area. I agree that chickens like a sheltered roost, but they also need airflow so, unless photos change my opinion, I think that you should open vents at the top of all the covered walls -- like in this photo (which is my brooder, so it's got 4 walls except that the other end opens completely if I want it to):

cover-image

Air needs to be able to flow through to carry heat away.

View attachment 3071393
thank you, this helps.

I'm in the same boat. I inherited this old dog shelter and am repurposing it into a grow out coop for my current turkey and chicken poults, and hoping to make it the duck house in the future. It certainly needs a little adaptation to do the job. I already installed the door, but it needs ventilation and roosting bars for the chicks/turkeys, but ones I can remove later if I do convert it to a duck/goose house.
My problem is where to put vents that it won't cause draft over the roost bars? I already drilled holes in the back directly across from the door, but that wasn't enough, so thinking of cutting out a 24x12 or so window there and covering with hardware cloth. Also the other house I have like this came with roof vents, so thinking of adding those but would love to find a tutorial on how to install them watertight, since these houses were previously used under an rv awning, so not getting rained on.

In southern az, and it was about 90 here today.

Attachments

• 20220514_111950.jpg
    20220514_111950.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220514_113530.jpg
    20220514_113530.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 4
I'm in the same boat. I inherited this old dog shelter and am repurposing it into a grow out coop for my current turkey and chicken poults, and hoping to make it the duck house in the future. It certainly needs a little adaptation to do the job. I already installed the door, but it needs ventilation and roosting bars for the chicks/turkeys, but ones I can remove later if I do convert it to a duck/goose house.
My problem is where to put vents that it won't cause draft over the roost bars? I already drilled holes in the back directly across from the door, but that wasn't enough, so thinking of cutting out a 24x12 or so window there and covering with hardware cloth. Also the other house I have like this came with roof vents, so thinking of adding those but would love to find a tutorial on how to install them watertight, since these houses were previously used under an rv awning, so not getting rained on.

In southern az, and it was about 90 here today.

How tall is it? Height is your friend when it comes to ventilation.

I'd suggest replacing all of the siding on one wall with wire to create an Open Air coop -- they're particularly well suited for hot climates.

Also, because you're in an unusually extreme climate, your state thread is probably your most helpful place to get well-targeted advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom