coop ventilation

SIRAGAR

Hatching
5 Years
May 3, 2014
Does anyone have a good resource on how to properly ventilate a coop in the Northwest suburbs of chicago? I am using a large shed that already has a vented ridgeline and vents at the eves.

images

Welcome to BYC!

You will want about 1 square foot per bird in your eaves. Have your birds roost low to the floor in quiet air, and the moisture from the pooping and breathing will rise and go out your eaves. If you have a slanted roof, all the better. If you have the eaves open on either side, this will create air movement going in the low side and out the high side. This constant positive air movement will suck all the moisture out of the coop without causing a draft on your birds. If it is going to be a really windy cold night, you can close off some of the venting on the low side of the coop, but keep the high side open all the time.

You might also chat with others in your state thread as to how they do things in your area...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/37/illinois

Good luck with this issue and welcome to our flock!

Thank you for the warm welcome!
The shed is a typical "A" frame , vented ridgeline top and vented eaves. My roost is at the eave line.So my birds are just at or above the eaves . You would suggest to place the roost lower or below the eaves so air that is drawn through the eaves escapes though the ridge vent taking moister and fumes out of the shed without exposing the birds to draft?

Back
Top Bottom