Coop venting question

Hi folks,
I used an old dresser I found in a dumpster, and have two questions about the venting:

1. There is a shelf intact, that sits between the lower vent/door and the upper vent (photos attached), and am wondering if this is obstructing proper airflow between them? I can saw it out if so.
And also,
2. Do you advise I add venting to the front as well, and if so, low or high?
(I am assuming not directly in front of the nesting box, tho it can be moved. I placed it where it is currently, as it would be the darkest and not facing the larger south facing side with the large upper vent/low door and vent. The coop run is covered but will still have a draft).
(3 bantams)
Thank you kindly,

Attachments

• 9E6118DE-9256-4F7F-9B89-D08C959DC6E2.jpeg
    9E6118DE-9256-4F7F-9B89-D08C959DC6E2.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 8
  • 659068EE-3B03-414C-A8C0-811FD80572B6.jpeg
    659068EE-3B03-414C-A8C0-811FD80572B6.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 8
  • A4FB40EB-2F5A-4BC6-BACC-82FE126183FE.jpeg
    A4FB40EB-2F5A-4BC6-BACC-82FE126183FE.jpeg
    614.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 2FDDDB4B-0D11-4168-8311-FCD715EFD5EB.jpeg
    2FDDDB4B-0D11-4168-8311-FCD715EFD5EB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • CB452084-90A7-48AB-804E-35D1C568E6B6.jpeg
    CB452084-90A7-48AB-804E-35D1C568E6B6.jpeg
    920.9 KB · Views: 8
Can you post pictures of the side opposite the window side?
Can you post pictures of the roof? Did you attach anything to serve as a pitched roof?
Drafts in front of the nest box don't matter. Drafts strong enough to open feathers on a roosted bird during cold weather do. You'll probably want a top hinged cover for the window for it to be of use.
I would want to have a high vent on the opposite wall for good ventilation that was also covered with a top hinged cover/window.
What is that little stand in the lower left corner?
Will you have a covered run for them for winter?
More photos added. Thanks for any further thoughts I can consider :)

You should be in great shape then. :)

Be sure to make a coop page article on it and enter the coop page contest. People need to know about these creative alternatives to those cheap and inadequate prefabs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/official-byc-coop-page-contest-12.1483504/
Oh fun! I’d love to share with others who are interested:) less for the contest more bc it has been a fun (and ongoing) project.
I assume they’ll do another one, I’ll try to remember to keep an eye out for it.
Thanks for the kind words.
I’m a doer of projects
Hi folks,
I used an old dresser I found in a dumpster, and have two questions about the venting:

1. There is a shelf intact, that sits between the lower vent/door and the upper vent (photos attached), and am wondering if this is obstructing proper airflow between them? I can saw it out if so.
And also,
(I am assuming not directly in front of the nesting box, tho it can be moved. I placed it where it is currently, as it would be the darkest and not facing the larger south facing side with the large upper vent/low door and vent. The coop run is covered but will still have a draft).
(3 bantams)
Thank you kindly,
Hi folks,

And also,
(3 bantams)
Thank you kindly,
More photos (chicken hangout lol)
You can pick fun at me:)
I am a lover of art, a doer of projects; I love repurposing and my local salvage yard. Am a leaner-inner of creative problem solving and learning/pivoting along the way from the many inevitable failures…🤷🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• DADD791D-33AB-4938-A71F-29BAFE070EA7.jpeg
    DADD791D-33AB-4938-A71F-29BAFE070EA7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 33FDEDF3-A449-4D74-B1C0-0AF3D384635E.jpeg
    33FDEDF3-A449-4D74-B1C0-0AF3D384635E.jpeg
    957.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks,

And also,
(3 bantams)
Thank you kindly,
And again, any thoughts to share on where and how much additional venting to add, is greatly appreciated thank you :)

What's that blue thing on one end?
Where are the roost inside?

Looks pretty sheltered, does wind whip thru that space?
Blue cabinet is just to hold some stuff, gloves etc.
There is one little roosting bar, I added if they wanted to use one.
Ive read silkies don’t really roost but some will. They sleep in a pile together in the corner.
Plenty of room to add more if you advise this, thanks.
Not super windy but can cover the back door to add more protection in that corner.
And sounds like I’ll need to add window covers to the big vent/window.
I’ll work on this before winter.
still wondering about the venting needs if you have any thoughts to share…

Back
Top Bottom