Coop vs large OverEZ w/wheels vs Chicken Tractor

farmland1

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2023
central NJ
New to chickens.
Live on a large farm in NJ. We do get some snow in the winter.
Known predators in area: Fox, hawk, coyote, racoon, skunk, ground hog, rats, owls, possum.
Fox and hawk are the biggest problems.

Need to buy coop for 5 Wyandotte chickens (8 weeks old) and possibly 8 guinea (if they will get along together) asap!

Would you recommend an in place larger coop (12x5) and large OverEZ coop or a chicken tractor.

I'd love to let them free range but I hear the hawks will be a problem.

If we buy an OverEZ coop then we would buy the wheels too. But I'm not sure of what portable fencing I would get for a run.

Is there a chicken tractor you recommend? Someone recommended Egg Cart n' Classic and putting a portable electric fence around it. Would it be warm enough for winter? https://eggcartn.com/the-chalet/

If we do an in place coop, I'd love to try the deep litter method.

My preference is and always will be a walk-in style coop. Have you considered converting an old shed into a coop? It reduces a lot of the work.
I fenced off about a 1/3 acre of property with electrified poultry netting. There is a lot of good cover from aerial predators in the pen and I've only lost one bird in over 5.5 years.

Go bigger and walk in.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!

1699401913732.png

My preference is and always will be a walk-in style coop. Have you considered converting an old shed into a coop? It reduces a lot of the work.
I fenced off about a 1/3 acre of property with electrified poultry netting. There is a lot of good cover from aerial predators in the pen and I've only lost one bird in over 5.5 years.
We don't have any only shed to use and I haven't found one used for sale. I did find this chicken coop today. Its a walk-in and 12x5. Think that is big enough? Maybe some extra ventilation should be added at the top? This is the best I have found for the price.

What electrified poultry netting do you use? What is the good cover you have from aerial predators?

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 20
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 18
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom