coop with a old swingset as a frame?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mom wewantchicks!, Sep 29, 2008.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    didnt i see a cop that was made by using an old swingset as a frame? we are finally into our new house and have a metal swingset that will be replaced in the spring. im thinking why let it go to waste??

2. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    I think I have either read about it or have seen one somewhere; but I think it was a wooden A frame type. [​IMG]

3. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I wouldn't let it go to waste. People use PVC piping to build a frame & so if you've got one that's metal I'd think it would hold up real well... What a great idea! I just love it.!

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

haven't seen it, but that is a NIFTY idea!

5. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

Heard of this also and it sounds great! One could even put some wheels in the legs and have a mobile coop/tractor. I've always wanted to make a small green house using an old swingset as a frame, but never got around to it. Good luck and post pics! [​IMG]

6. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    [​IMG] I cannot believe you asked this! I was just driving by a place a couple of days ago and there was an old swingset frame with vines growing all over it and all I could see was a chicken coop. I think that would be a great way to start a coop!
    [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

7. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    needmorechickens! :

[​IMG] I cannot believe you asked this! I was just driving by a place a couple of days ago and there was an old swingset frame with vines growing all over it and all I could see was a chicken coop. I think that would be a great way to start a coop!
    [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

Isn't it funny how we all look at stuff that way now? I mean *ANY* left over piece of building material & I'm thinking "wow that would make great screening, windows for a coops, frame, etc. etc. LOL People seem to be getting rid of a LOT of different kinds of swing sets too & some have those club house type square things as part of the top that attaches other piecs to the set & all I can think is "wow there's a completed frame & some walls & doors/windows & you'd got a coop". LOL every time I say this out loud to hubby he'll say "yeeeaaaaa but we already have a coop." & I'll say "yea I know but it would be nice to have maybe another small one in the corner of the garden ya know?" & then I get *that look* I'm sure many here know. LOL​

8. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]
    Now ya got one. [​IMG]

Very good idea and I wish I would've thought of this before I threw one of these frames away.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i have an old metal porch swing that imma gonna convert,, save me $10 ,, wooohooo the good beer tonight [​IMG]

10. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Make a A-frame coop!!! Or a chicken tractor! Now I am gonna go look for one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by