Coop

Toddgordon

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
So we have placed our 3 delaware hens about 5 weeks old into their coop. They have a nice big run however they go into the coop a.d stay? Normal?

So we have placed our 3 delaware hens about 5 weeks old into their coop. They have a nice big run however they go into the coop a.d stay? Normal?

It could be a security thing. However, my Delawares are very curious and adventurous. Without seeing your setup, I'd have to wonder how steep the ramp is to the outside. Have you seen them run up and down the ramp? If they can navigate the ramp, give them time to adjust to the new surroundings.

I don't know what your coop and run look like or how you handled the transition from brooder to coop. I sometimes move my chicks from the brooder in the coop to my grow-out coop and leave them locked in there for several days before I open the pop door to the run. Sometimes all the chicks are on the ground within 15 minutes, sometimes it takes a couple of days for one to build up the courage to venture to the ground. When they finally do they usually spend all day every day outside. I usually have to put them back in the coop at night to sleep, they want to sleep in the run under the pop door.

I sometimes just open the door to that brooder in the coop and let them into the main flock. They usually are all out of the brooder in a few minutes but it may take days or even weeks for them to go outside. Them being integrated with the adults probably makes some differences in how they act.

Without knowing the details what you are saying sounds pretty normal.

It could be a security thing. However, my Delawares are very curious and adventurous. Without seeing your setup, I'd have to wonder how steep the ramp is to the outside. Have you seen them run up and down the ramp? If they can navigate the ramp, give them time to adjust to the new surroundings.
Yes they run up and down the ramp. Lol. They seem to come out when I go outside and stand near the coop and when I go inside my house they seem to find their way back into the coop. Are your hens protective? I watched one of them chase a wild bird away from the outside of the run. I'm praying it isn't a rooster as we can't have roosters in my town.

I have three roosters, so the hens don't have to worry about filling in that role. Yes, I have seen the roos chase birds away. I had one rooster that wouldn't tolerate a wild bird to land anywhere in the yard (they free-range over the property). Now that he's gone, the rest are a little more tolerant.

It sounds like they're doing okay. They come out when the food human is out. That's to be expected. Give them time.

According to some, it's a good idea to keep chickens in the coop for at least a week after moving them so they know where & how to roost and where home is. Sounds like yours have already figured this out. They'll venture out when they're ready. They're still quite young.

Back
Top Bottom