1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    I have an old dog kennel that i am going to be using for a coop for 9 chickens. My question is...The frame is chicken wire on pipe fence. What do I put in there for a house for winter, nesting, etc.? [​IMG]
    I was also thinking of using cat litter for the bedding except in their house.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Depends on where you live.....

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    And what kinds of birds you have??

4. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    I live in Central Michigan. I have 6 Isa Brown, 1 RIR, and 2 Easter Eggers.
    Where I live it is pretty mild. We get snow and cold but not extreme cold very often. We sometimes get freezing rain but only a few times a winter. I was thinking about stacking cement blocks up and surrounding them with hay and covering with wood. [​IMG]

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    We have the same set up, we use a dog house. You can see it on my link below to my coop.

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I use shavings and top it off with straw. I spoil my bird a bit with a heater and try to keep the temp between 50-60 degrees even in the dead of winter! My husband stays its so comfortable hes going to stay out there LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by