Coop

dr1939

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 5, 2012
Anyone have a good method of getting your chickens to get in the coop. I have two and they ignore the coop and small run.

Physically put them in the coop and lock them in for a few days before letting them out again.

I haven't had to lock mine in for days, but I have had success by putting them to bed every night, locking them in, and then letting them out in the morning. After a few days (3, 4, 5?) they'll know to go in there on their own. It's just a matter of forming a routine for them.

I haven't had to lock mine in for days, but I have had success by putting them to bed every night, locking them in, and then letting them out in the morning. After a few days (3, 4, 5?) they'll know to go in there on their own. It's just a matter of forming a routine for them.
x2

I put them in nightly right at dusk for a few days to a week and they get the picture and start doing it on there own.

I have this same issue. Mine used their coop until about mid summer, then started roosting other places in the yard. So every night for weeks I started putting them in at dusk and letting them out in the morning. To this day we have the same routine. I also only have 2 birds, I think some just prefer to be out. I guess the one positive thing is that they do lay their eggs in the coop. I was actually hoping that when it started to get cold they would move back in but they just started roosting closer to the house, I think it shields them from the wind. No luck yet though. Maybe if I keep at it, one night I will be in a panic because I can't find them in the yard and it will be because they put themselves to bed.

Back
Top Bottom