1. dr1939

dr1939 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2012
    Anyone have a good method of getting your chickens to get in the coop. I have two and they ignore the coop and small run.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Put a light in there (even a flashlight) in the evening.

3. dr1939

Nov 5, 2012
    Light doesn't help any other suggestions?

4. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Physically put them in the coop and lock them in for a few days before letting them out again.

5. pupsicle

pupsicle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    I haven't had to lock mine in for days, but I have had success by putting them to bed every night, locking them in, and then letting them out in the morning. After a few days (3, 4, 5?) they'll know to go in there on their own. It's just a matter of forming a routine for them.

6. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
    x2

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    x2

I put them in nightly right at dusk for a few days to a week and they get the picture and start doing it on there own.

8. dr1939

Nov 5, 2012
    What is the best and safest way to catch them?

9. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Wait until night when it is dark and you can grab them easily, if they have not flown up in to a tree!

10. Strysa

Strysa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    I have this same issue. Mine used their coop until about mid summer, then started roosting other places in the yard. So every night for weeks I started putting them in at dusk and letting them out in the morning. To this day we have the same routine. I also only have 2 birds, I think some just prefer to be out. I guess the one positive thing is that they do lay their eggs in the coop. I was actually hoping that when it started to get cold they would move back in but they just started roosting closer to the house, I think it shields them from the wind. No luck yet though. Maybe if I keep at it, one night I will be in a panic because I can't find them in the yard and it will be because they put themselves to bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by