Small coops and deep litter method

Buddys mom

Chirping
May 28, 2023
Hi all, I want to do the deep litter method on my 2 coops but they are both very small. I bought them from OverEZ coop makers an didn't realize what I was getting into as a first time chicken owner. Anyways, one coop is 4 ft long, 4 ft wide and 5 ft tall. I have 5 chickens in that coop. The other is 6 ft long, 5 ft wide and 6ft tall. I have 6 chickens in that one. I can't imagine having that much litter piling up in those small coops. Is there a way to do the deep litter in these little coops?? Thank you in advance for your help.

I personally would go with horse bedding pellets then. They are virtually maintenance-free for a year as the chickens keep them stirred up and in the spring we clean them all out and put it in our garden, compost bins, around trees, etc. Our coop has no odors either as they absorb it all. We put down about 3". Just a suggestion though.

Pellets 2.gif

You generally wouldn't do deep litter in any coop that does not have a dirt floor, as it lacks the moisture and microbes needed for composting.

If you're talking about deep bedding, it may or may not work, you may not be able to build up the litter volume needed especially in the smaller unit. If these are the typical Over EZ style coops, you will need to add extra ventilation (if you haven't already done so) to help minimize ammonia and moisture that builds up from poop.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that the floor had to be dirt. It makes much more sense now. I was wondering how all that magic was going to take place in my wooden floor coops. :hmm We have added extra vents. And I'll also give the pellets a try! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom