Cooped up Silkie

JadedPhoenix

Songster
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
Tyro-Lexington, NC
We all know that Silkies don't get the respect that they should in a flock in general. Well, I have a blue silkie who is the eldest of my flock. She is the only silkie with about six white leghorns and five production reds. The reds have always been quite aggressive with the silkie. Not to the point of true abuse, just keeping her at the bottom of the pecking order. In recent weeks, I've noticed that my silkie has decided to not leave the coop anylonger. At all. At least not on her own. My autistic son will shoo all of the chickens out before bending over to collect the eggs if I'm not able to go out and tend to the chickens. Otherwise my silkie has remained on her perch that is made from a pallet so she actually has a comfortable place to stay. I have begun to put a bit of food and water up on the pallet for her and even given her some treats since I feel so sorry for her. The leghorns are always the first to go to roost at the end of the day and by the time the reds go the silkie is in the middle of the leghorns. So there doesn't appear to be an issue at night. My question is, should I leave things as they are or should I remove the silkie to her own coop within the run with a small (very small) run of its own?

If you can set her up with her own apartment and leisure area within the main run so she will still be in proximity to the flock, that would be ideal.

While a bullied chicken will still be content in spite of being bullied as long as she feels a part of a flock, she will fare so much better if she isn't hammered by the others and prevented from eating in peace.

Back
Top Bottom