Here's a quick reminder about the dangers of heat lamps in chicken coops. I woke up at 2AM this morning to my husbands fire pager going off. He was dispatched to a chicken coop that had caught fire and then caught an apartment complex on fire. The cause? A heat lamp. Having a heat lamp in your coop is much more dangerous than letting your well equipt chickens tough out the cold. Luckily for these chickens most of them were rescued and thrown in a shed... However the damage to the apartment complex will likely top $100,000. Mostly exterior. But if someone hadn't driven by and seen the flames it could have ended a lot worse. Lots of families/young kids in those apartments.