Coops

Quote:
For that much money,you could built something better. I have something like this post talked about above. It just depend on what material you use. If you use cheap material, its gona break down, use good hard material and its gona last.

For my outside coops I use the method "dig hole" for post(post are 6 to 7feet high)depending how high you want it.(hole are dig at the four corner like a retangular), I use lumber beam to concect them to get a retangular shape.(nails and hammer) buy the good plywood broad that are 6wide and 9 feet long(something like that)the boards are the ones that you can stand on and doesnt break in half. lol. put it around the bottom of your retangular shape.(nail and hammer it good) Now it started to look like a coop. In the middle level, you could built window, a big door in the front, anything you want once you have a base. At the top I use a clear plastic roof panel. not the cheap one that will break, but the ones that is strong enough to get by winter. cost is like $15. Mine is still good and its about 8years now. The reason I use clear is because in the winter it will let the sun rays shine from above and add heat inside the coop. metal ones will be good too but are only good for shades and collecting heat on top. Sorry for all the wording on how I built my coop. Its cheap and still dependable. I have like 12 plus 4 littler ones of these design. six of them are connect to each other to get one big long one. I have 30 chickens. I will be going to the farm this weekend so I will take some picture for you to see how my setup is like, because having a picture is better then describing it.lol.

If you need materials to keep cost down, maybe try local fence businesses. They usually have scrap pieces laying around or junk they pull off the job. I know that from experience b/c hubby is a fence man!
wink.png

I keep four LF in a similarly shaped coop of our own design, BUT it is at least double the dimensions. (And I think they would like it to be bigger.) My whole coop has a 4'x8' footprint, including the run. The roost is 4'x 3' x3'tall, The attached run is 4'x5', and the space below the roosting quarters is about the same, 4'x3'x3', and is where all the tools and supplies are stored. My four girls do get out to free-range as much as possible, any where from 1 to 10 hrs a day, depending on our schedules. But, for example, during hurricane Irene, they were literally cooped up for about 48 hrs. Talk about cabin fever! They exploded out the door when we finally got to let them out! Moral to this story: you're gonna need a bigger coop.

mm

Back
Top Bottom