Coopsington Palace is done! (Several Pics) and have a lot of questions about run...

NCgirl21

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Concord, North Carolina

This is the outside of our chicken coop. We want to build a run that is VERY secure. We will be wrapping the whole thing in hardware cloth not half hardware and half chicken wire. I've decided we like trench instead of apron because I feel in the ground would be more secure (Then also planning on pouring concrete over that in the trench to keep it down. I know gravel would work too but why not use concrete if we have it already, right? Also I'm thinking the trench will be 2 feet deep and maybe 1 ft wide..? Not sure. Still trying to figure everything out. We live in North Carolina and there isn't very much snow at all. Super hot summers (100s). A "cold" winter is maybe in the teens. We certainly have predators: coyotes, bobcats, hawks, etc, so I want Ft. Knox but since I've never built a run I don't have the "if I knew then what I know now" experience. There are over 400 acres around us of pure woods so there are probably things here I've never even heard of!

I've learned to get pressure treated 4x4s and the posts must be squared. I guess 6 ft T posts are best? Not sure, just compiled all the info I read on the forums here. I want to make a roof or use a tarp of some kind to cover the top. It's not really windy here so should I cover two of the four sides as well? And what is the best most secure tarp and how would I get that to stay on the hardware cloth? Bungee cords? I heard rats are a huge problem so I want to try my very best to make this the most secure run no matter what it takes because I have no interest in building it twice after a predator outsmarts my run building skills. I know nothing is fool proof but I want to do it right the first time. I appreciate any help and advice! I'm very new to the chicken world and I don't want to put my chickadees at risk by building anything wrong!

Great job! I love your coop and the colors you decided to paint the inside, very cute!
thumbsup.gif
You might want more than 6 ft posts, after you bury them in the holes a bit, the run might be a bit short to stand in.

Last edited:
It is a very nice coop, indeed! As Erin, The Chicken lover suggested, you'll need 8-foot pressure-treated 4x4 posts (I used galvanized chain link fence posts for my run) minimum length so that once 24 inches of each are buried for stabilizing them, you'll still have around six feet of each post above ground for attaching fence "fabric," whether it be welded wire, hardware cloth, chain link, or a combination of any of them. Most people choose welded wire fencing (economy) for the main fabric and then add hardware cloth to close off the first two feet above ground of welded wire and also for burial of a foot or so of the hardware cloth (Fort Knox-style) to resist excavators.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom