Copper Marans

beakkeeper

Songster
13 Years
Jul 20, 2008
I had heard about the cuckoo variety, but until today I didn't know there was such a thing as coper Marans. Where are they available? Are they any different than cuckoo in cold intolerance/egg color/personality? I would love to get those chocolate brown eggs but I have read that Marans aren't very cold hardy...

already several lengthy discussions about this most excellent but gettin' kinda trendy breed. Search black copper or copper marans on this site and you'll find lots of sources and info.

Quote:
Marans are a breed with a great number of accepted color patterns, and a rich history, their primary attraction being the lovely chocolate colored eggs. They are actually a very old breed with a serious following of people committed to promoting the welfare of the breed. There are Marans (always spelled with a "s") clubs, etc.......And yes, a lot of threads out there about them
smile.png

Here are a few things written about them on some websites:
Marans were originally a regional fowl in France
From the Marans d'France website:

THE OFFICIAL VARIETIES OF THE CURRENT STANDARD

Silver-cuckoo Variety
Golden-cuckoo Variety
Black Variety
Brown-red Variety
Birchen Variety
Wheaten Variety
Black-tailed buff Variety
White Variety
Columbian Variety

The Bantam's Marans

OTHER VARIETIES NOT APPROVED YET

Golden-blue and Silver-blue Varietys
Splash Variety
Golden-salmon and Silver-salmon Variety

I have not heard anything about cold issues other than that the rooster has a large comb and it would need to be protected from freezing, I imagine, or it may suffer frostbite damage.
Tina

My marans weather Canadian winters without issue.

Be cautious when purchasing Marans, there are a lot of rip off artists out there right now because of the price they are bringing in.

Back
Top Bottom