copper pipe in kiddie/duck pool? Yes or No..

crtrlovr

Still chillin' with my peeps
Mar 13, 2008
East South Central (West KY)
I saw a tip in Birds and Blooms magazine that suggested putting some copper pennies into a birdbath to keep algae growth down. I wouldn't do that with ducks b/c the goobers would probably eat the pennies and the acid would eat off the copper allowing the zinc to leach out & poison them, so I know that's out. However, would a length of copper pipe (too big to "bill" or lift) in the bottom of the pool have the same algae-inhibiting effect? ?? anyone know for sure? or alternatively, how do you keep the algae out of your duckie pool? (it's as much in the shade as I can get it). TIA!
smile.png

I tried a penny in my bucket that is attached to my chickens nipple watering pipe. Didn't do a thing, still got algae in a home depot orange bucket.
It would be safe, its used in house plumbing.

I keep algae out of my kiddie pools by dumping regularly. They are gross within 30 minutes so, no chance for algea.
big_smile.png

The only thing I'd be worried about would be the sharp edges but if you put endcaps on it that would solve that problem. You could also look for a small copper pot or jello mold at a thrift store.

Back
Top Bottom