copperhead question---not about chickens though, please look.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by agnes_day, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    ok..today, i opened the drawer of my sewing table and found an 18 inch copperhead, nestled under some fabric. i almost got bit by the thing too!
    here is a picture of the type of table i have.
    http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...3HFLXQ&t=1&usg=__Q4UWxvNfzJHPVJntk-92Boealjs=

its completely sealed in the back, and there is less than a half inch gap on the bottom..the drawers were tightly shut, and the drawer part is completely separate and sealed from the rest of the table. also, i found it in the second drawer and i am wondering about the plausibility of it having squeezed under the tiny gap, and then climbing upwards in an even smaller gap to reach that particular drawer. i honestly think it was a certain child of mine but i just need a second opinion..i am so freaked out right now because this snake was MAD when i almost grabbed it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh. My.

I doubt the 18" copperhead made it into the house without help, much less into the drawer. Said young'un would be getting some pretty stern dicipline around here! For a looooong time, as well as some educationg about the dangers and identification of venomous snakes. Possibly some therapy, too, for dangerous intentions and/or anger issues, depending upon the age.

Hope you don't still need a defibrillator! [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

OK OK you win agnes_day, [​IMG]

That certainly beats my spider in the silverware drawer story. [​IMG]

Imp-has lived his entire life in the virtually snake free world

ETA- Glad you are OK. Are they poisonous?

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    You win!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would have pee'd myself..then croaked.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Um, that snake was put there on purpose.

Did someone just take out a life insurance policy on you?

6. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    There are no snakes in ALASKA!! [​IMG]

7. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    IMHO, trying to figure out how things happen in a house with children is a waste of time and energy, something I've given up on. How about pulling all the suspects/children together and have a safety talk complete with internet supplied photos of peoples fingers after being bit by poisonous snakes. Don't bother with a blame game, just be very certain all understand how dangerous snakes are and to help Mom try to keep them out of the house. If the parties are innocent, a lecture on snakes in your area is good anyway. If guilty, then guilt trip is self administered. And, I have found kids often have a fresh point of view on problem solving - and may just figure out how snakes happen into the house. That's a pretty small snake and would fit in some pretty small holes.

I nearly drove myself nuts last week trying to figure out who put the watermelon in the freezer. Maybe I did it. Or the kids. Who cares, it turns out frozen watermelon scrapes into watermelon ice and is quite tasty.

8. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    oh no, i know who it was. i have a teenager who is...less than nice and he knows about snakes, unfortunately.
    thanks everyone. [​IMG] i knew the answer, just wanted some more experienced people to chime in.
    [​IMG]

9. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Copperheads are pretty think snakes, it is unlikely to have gotten in by it's self. Though, are you sure it was not a watersnake? They look very similar to copperheads, and if you are not a 'snake person' can look identical.

Edit to add

In OK you have broad banded copperheads, you also have four species of watesnakes(depending where exactly you are) with the broad banded watersnake (Nerodia fasciata) looking similar.

10. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Well, don't send the kid off to juvy quite yet! Number one, why is the sewing machine outside?? Number two, where the foot controller cord goes up into the cabinet, there can be enough room for a snake to crawl in. Once inside the frame, the drawers would be open to him. A nice warm cozy place for a snake. If the kid did do it, I'd be sending his arse to Boy's Town, there is something seriously wrong with him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by