1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Copper's first eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kola, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Kola

Kola New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Minnesota
    Found my chickens first eggs in the woods
    4 of them were double yokes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

when a pullet first starts to lay her body is just getting used to laying so she will lay some odd eggs

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Double yolkers not unusual with new layers......can take up to a months or do for things to smooth out.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

4. Kola

Kola New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Minnesota
    We locked her up in the coop and she layed her next egg in the nest box.
    Thanks for the advice

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It works good most the time, if folks can get over 'locking them in'...... might take a good week to lock the habit in tho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by