1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coq au Vin

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by greyfields, Nov 24, 2008.

1. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    We followed the River Cottage Meat Book recipe (amazon.co.uk by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall) last night and did two chickens. We used some of our older homegrown meat birds. The preparation is nearly identical to this version:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2001/nov/25/foodanddrink.shopping

All I can say is wow. I've had it in restaurants before, which was great. But, doing it yourself is also amazing. It was probably 3.5 hours from start to end.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Because I am a ding bat, what does 40g of butter measure out to? And 200g of mushrooms?

Thanks!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Hey Debi, us Americans don't know squat about metric, so I use this handy website to convert different measurement systems:

In this case, I'd type in 40 g of butter and then ask it to say how much it is in ounces...
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_all.htm

The answer is 1.4 ounces, so a little less than 1.5 ounces.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  4. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Yeah we have a chart on our fridge. Nearly all our cooking books come from England, so you eventually get the hang of it.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:debi, i have a small cheap food scale from walmart.(big diet plan, gone bad...[​IMG]..)..and i believe it has grams on it for measuring...good luck, Wendy

6. debilorrah

Quote:That is an interesting chart. I have to brag for a moment - I made banana bread this weekend - WITH NO MEASURING SPOONS! It came out great.

7. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You'll just find in general that everywhere in the world uses weights in their recipes, whereas the US holds stubbornly to cups and teaspoons. :0

8. debilorrah

And I for one am thankful for that. My poor brain couldn't take it.

9. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    It's not that bad once you have a decent scale [​IMG]
    I originally bought my scale for weighing lye in soapmaking..But recently my roomate was diagnosed with diabetes..So the scale is extremely handy these days!! So glad I invested in it [​IMG]

10. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Quote:3.5 hours? I had seen a recipe somewhere else that had a week's preparation of marinating, etc. I was actually looking for something to do with mature roosters and came across "coq au vin". I have always enjoyed Alton Brown's show on the Food Network, so I looked up his version and was sadly disappointed. The origin of the recipe is for using older roosters, and using storebought fryers just doesn't capture the essence of it. I emailed Alton Brown and told him so. "Coq" translates to "rooster". I am curious to see if it is actually possible to prepare the mature rooster as per this recipe and have it turn out well. Has anyone sucessfullly used mature roosters?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by