Corgi's :anyone's experience with the breed.

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
Loooongtime dog owner... researching for next dogs... we usually have 2-4 ;0)...ONE of the breeds I am considering are;...corgi's...never had one. Only one I knew of ate the dashboard of the truck of a lady who used to come take riding lessons at my SIL barn. (!!!). But; I do know that any high energy breed needs training and an outlet. Have a hobby farm all fenced. Separate dog door to outside dog yard (to protect the terriers from eating the birds!). Have equine, waterfowl,grandsons next door and their dogs). Need a 'watchdog'/ alert system, also. Our last terrier is half blind and going deaf and my smooth collie is too polite to bark in the house at the UPS driver. I am home all day.No carpet and have had shedding dogs ; although I prefer to only sweep EOD over everyday! Can't stand dumby dogs, and not into lap dogs,or yappy. I did train a schnauzer to not bark in the house when I was a teen, so I know you can control some of that. I am usually the alpha, although my husband sometimes thinks he is!LOL I am usually the one dogs take too,(yes, I am the food lady and the 'quit that' one). ....anybody have any or experience with one? I generally like the herding/sheparding dogs. (collies, shelties, GSD etc.)

We have 2, our oldest is 12. They are really wonderful dogs. They are super loyal, smart, fun, and the cutest ever (never saw a cuter puppy than a corgi pup). Downsides-ours do like to bark, and they have an undercoat and shed HORRIBLY. To the point that we won't have any corgis after this-I just can't keep up with the hair no matter how much I vacuum and sweep. But truly, if the hair doesn't bother you, they are amazing pets! Also, they are herders and will nip at heels (esp when young) and definitely try to herd small children and other pets. They can be trained not to. We have a 1/2 acre fenced in yard for them to run. They can get lazy and overweight if not exercised which can lead to back issues, etc.

Here they are-

Attachments

• 20180722_184911.jpg
    20180722_184911.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 8
I have known many corgi's, both in my professional life as a vet assistant and dog groomer. and in my hobby of dog agility. I really like the breed, but they are not for everybody. They are very active, smart, strong willed and have a high herding drive. They need training and do well with it, but that doesn't mean they will always mind you. I don't think they are a great choice around small children, as they will herd and nip. They are heavy shedders, and are prone to back problems. They do bark a lot. A LOT. They are also cute and funny and have a lot of personality. If you have time and energy and a job for them to do, great. If not, consider another breed.

Also, they are very short. How do you like bending over to ground level every time you want to touch one? I like dogs that I can reach, not that short.
Townchicks has it nailed, IMO. I've met more spoiled nippy ones that otherwise, and that's a training issue. They will rule if you let them!
Corgis herd, but are more like the tougher cattle herding breeds than the collie types. Nice with very good handling, cute, and furry.
Mary

Too many seem dog aggressive for me.
My last boss raised and showed corgis. Had three generations of grand champions. Also had to keep them separated to three groups because some would try to kill others. So much for show dogs having good dispositions.
My current boss raises "working line" corgis. Out of 5 dogs he has 2 that can't come in contact with each other or a 3rd one or it ends in a vet visit.

I have never owned a Corgi but I have known a few. In my experience (limited) they are delightful, happy energetic dogs. In spite of their small size they are good herding dogs. Like most herders they need a job. I have seen them in agility competitions.

Back
Top Bottom