Corid and laying hens???? can I eat the eggs??

What methods are you using? What were the first signs? We are new to chickens. Ours are week old auricanas and we found a small bit of dried blood on a feather by the chicks bum. Started to do some research. I am just so unsure of it all. Could she have gotten pecked? Could she have eaten a small piece of wood shaving? I have not noticed any bloody poop in the box. The bedding is changed daily, and the water cleaned multiple times a day. Say 3-5 or more. We have been keeping the temp well also. They are all active, and eating well so far. They take their little cat naps, but all seems well except for that tiny bit of dried blood on bum feathers. Any thoughts? We would all be devastated if they all die.

Are you asking if it might be Coccidiosis? Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract.Some symptoms of cocci are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly. Coccidiosis is the leading cause of death among chicks,but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat such as Corid(amprolium).

My advise would be to carefully observe your chicks and if you see any symptoms even if not sure,treat them for cocci. Treating birds(with amprolium) will not harm them,but not treating if they have coccidiosis may result in deaths.

Corid dose for 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL birds for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment as they can interfere with the ability of coccidiostat to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete. Make sure medicated water is the only source of drinking water.

I found this website with info from the FDA. It's not super helpful, but what it says is that eggs are safe if they have less than 4 parts per million of Amprolium - now, there is no way to know that your eggs only have 4 parts per million... however, I did also notice that when it talks about Liver and Meat, the standards were much lower, (1 part and .5 parts per million respectively).

I'm not a scientist, so this stuff means very little to me, but I thought there might be someone out there who might know this stuff.

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinar...lDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm148849.htm

Back
Top Bottom