Corid, sulfa, wazine, valbazen help!

Pics

Jjdesmo11

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2017
Tennessee
32C3B4D8-CB3A-4983-810C-E91A4E1556F7.jpeg
Needing advice. My two chicks have been sick for about 2 months. First I assumed coccidiosis because I found bloody poop. Treated her and sister orally, and added to flocks water (corid). Did x2 or 3 times! After advice on here bought bird sulfa and removed 2 sick girls. Saw a roundworm and treated with wazine. They were full of them! I felt bad I didn’t realize what the problem was. I assumed coccidiosis. Well I lost her sister a few days ago. She was smaller and weaker and I assume the wazine was too harsh. Now 3 days later after finishing sulfa tx she still looks puffed while at rest. She eats, preens, scratches at the ground but still doesn’t seem well. I orally dosed with valbazen today. The nearest vet is 1+ hr away. Does anyone have any more ideas? I don’t want to loose her but driving that far with 2 little kids and paying who knows how much it’s quite a big decision. Will I see improvement with valbazen in hrs? Days? Maybe I’ll Wait a day or 2 till I go, what else can I try?

View attachment 1568985 Needing advice. My two chicks have been sick for about 2 months. First I assumed coccidiosis because I found bloody poop. Treated her and sister orally, and added to flocks water (corid). Did x2 or 3 times! After advice on here bought bird sulfa and removed 2 sick girls. Saw a roundworm and treated with wazine. They were full of them! I felt bad I didn’t realize what the problem was. I assumed coccidiosis. Well I lost her sister a few days ago. She was smaller and weaker and I assume the wazine was too harsh. Now 3 days later after finishing sulfa tx she still looks puffed while at rest. She eats, preens, scratches at the ground but still doesn’t seem well. I orally dosed with valbazen today. The nearest vet is 1+ hr away. Does anyone have any more ideas? I don’t want to loose her but driving that far with 2 little kids and paying who knows how much it’s quite a big decision. Will I see improvement with valbazen in hrs? Days? Maybe I’ll Wait a day or 2 till I go, what else can I try?

Here are some suggestion for treatment you may want to try also keep environment and feeders clean with feeders and waterers off ground.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/roundworms

Any sick chicken needs to be removed from the pen and caged up away from the others. Analyze her droppings. Like previous replier said all feeders and waterers need to be high off the ground if they aren't already. Disinfect feeders and waters with bleach. With wazine chickens can look worse before they get better. Dont expect them to look a lot better til after treatment is over and up to a week after treating.

When you said you treated with Corid x2 or 3. Did you treat with new water and corid mixed everyday for 2 or 3 days? Or did you do the full corid cycle 2 or 3 different times?
Always dose and treat for the correct number of days with dewormer or when you treat with corid. Make sure you dump old medicine and start with new medicine everyday in the waterers.

Here are some suggestion for treatment you may want to try also keep environment and feeders clean with feeders and waterers off ground.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/roundworms
Thanks but I already treated the roundworms. I have the water on a cinder block and I feed femented food in a dog bowl so it’s put up daily. I just wonder if it’s something else or if she’s just still on the mend. Haven’t seen worms in her poop in 4 days.

Any sick chicken needs to be removed from the pen and caged up away from the others. Analyze her droppings. Like previous replier said all feeders and waterers need to be high off the ground if they aren't already. Disinfect feeders and waters with bleach. With wazine chickens can look worse before they get better. Dont expect them to look a lot better til after treatment is over and up to a week after treating.

When you said you treated with Corid x2 or 3. Did you treat with new water and corid mixed everyday for 2 or 3 days? Or did you do the full corid cycle 2 or 3 different times?
Always dose and treat for the correct number of days with dewormer or when you treat with corid. Make sure you dump old medicine and start with new medicine everyday in the waterers.
I did have her separated but felt so bad after her sister died to leave her alone and assumed she was better after sulfa/wazine. So initially I did corid x5 days in water and dumped it daily for whole flock. Just orally drenched the two that looked sick. After 24 hrs no bloody poop. Then it id see it again and repeat. Moved to a new coop and saw bloody poop I think 2 separate occasions and did above treatment. That’s why I moved to sulfa drug. Now no blood in poop, or worms. So I do believe if it was coccidiosis I’ve remedied it. Remember I also did 7 days of sulfa drug too. I didn’t realize it could take a week to recover from wazine, in hindsight I should have done valbazen initially but assumed if I knew it was roundworms wazine would be easiest. I’m just worried I’m missing something and it will be too late before I realize. But very thankful for any advice/help. I’ve been battling this for at least a month and probably just need to take her to a vet. It’s just not an easy task at this point

Back
Top Bottom